Password Reset With No Email Reset

Hi everyone.

I am creating a stress reduction app for a research project using Firebase for the users’ usernames and passwords. With the help of Catsarisky, I got the sign up to work in Firebase without verifying email addresses by having my users create a 6-digit user id attached to a bogus domain and a password. Thanks again Cathy! :blush:

I cannot use email addresses for this project to protect participants’ identities.

Now I am trying to find a way to create a password reset page, but I have not been successful.

Here are my blocks for the sign in/sign up page (which is working great!)

1. the blocks I have so far on my password reset page (which is not working) :no_entry_sign:

2. A video of the error. In the video I am using the password “apples” and signed in successfully, but when I try to change the password to “bananas”, it rejects the new password.

https://youtu.be/Pv3ZD_x7rFc

1 Like

I suspect you’re trying to call signin before the password change is done. See that “when resetpassword is done” area in the first sign-in block? Code that you put there won’t happen until ResetPassword has actually finished.

You may also want to display (use an alert maybe?) any error from the password reset - that’ll be informative.

Also, did you store the “username” or the fake email? If you stored the username, you need to convert it to fake email before using it throughout.

3 Likes

Interesting case. The normal workflow of Firebase ResetPassword function is to send a verification email. Now that you have a “bogus” email, where would the verification message go?

3 Likes