Need some help with variables

Hello Tatiang: I don’t know how it happened, but I missed your explanation where you insisted that I did not have anything visual in my blocks to indicate that it was working or not working. I’m sorry but I am not quite sure I can express in blocks what you tell me: ‘This is a long way of saying that you need to provide some notice of the results. The easiest way to do that is to assign the value of a list item (e.g. item # 1) or the entire list (using the make text from list block in the List drawer) to a label. Put that set label’s text to block outside of / below your count with i from loop block and then preview again’.
(I did not design the contents of the Update temp list function. I don’t know how to do it. I saw something like them in some other app, and it seemed to me that they could work in mine) As they say,
A picture is worth a thousand words means here A block is worth a thousand words. Thanks

<Hi, one again:
As you well know, a Data Viewer List is equivalent to having several labels (rows and columns) along with trigger buttons. Since I am using DVL, then I don’t know exactly how to apply what I have learned from your example on labels and buttons. Now I am trying to make that in each new session the student can continue where he left off …

I wouldn’t use a DVL if you want to show the user where they left off. You’d have to change the data to only show that info each time. That’s complicated.

One reason I’m having trouble helping you is that you post a screenshot but then ask a question unrelated to what is shown. And then you don’t answer my questions. It makes it hard to help!

1 Like

Hi Tatiang.
I’m sorry if I’m causing problems with my screenshots. I know you are trying to help me, and I thought I had given the needed information. Since I started this help request, I asked three questions, which I have reduced to one, to begin with: In the next session, how can you continue learning vocabulary with the next / last word where you left off?
My app is now public, so that anyone can see it: Thunkable.
The reason why I’m usin the DVL is because I don’t know any other simple way to show all the information I have in my databases. You say you wouldn’t use a DVL… How would you do then? Thank you

I provided a demo. Did you get a chance to see how that works? It allows the user to progress through a list of words and then it saves the word the user is on for the next launch of the app.

Once you have that working, you can show the actual words in various ways. If you want to use a DVL – and I can see why you might want to – then you have to continually update the data source, deleting rows beyond the current “saved” row/word. I don’t have a demo of this. It’s quite complicated. My preference would be to have “placeholder” components (images, labels, buttons) and then populate them with the current data. So you’re essentially making your own DVL but without the actual pre-made component. This is also quite complicated. But you would base everything off of the row # / row id so that you can display the current info.

As I said before, [quote=“similar2similar, post:19, topic:1575332”]I have been able to verify that your example works perfectly with the Words and Definitions labels but, in the case of a Data Viewer List, what element should I use.
[/quote]
So it seems the DVL is not ready enough to do what I need… and doing it as you suggest is also quite complicated, but would it be a simple repetition of the components that you taught me?
thanks

I would say you have two choices:

1. Use the demo I made. It works great. I had a thought about displaying a subset list of words. An easier way to do this is to use a List Viewer. Because they can use lists in Thunkable, it’s easy to create a list that only contains rows 1-30 or rows 8-30, etc.

2. Try to set up a custom DVL. You’ll problably need to use the Snap to Place interface for this to make use of Clone and Create blocks. This is very difficult and I don’t recommend it unless you have lots of time and patience. I don’t have a demo of this I can share with you so you’d be on your own + searching the forums and documentation for info.

If you have trouble with either of the above, post a link to your project ( I realize it may be the same as you posted above) and either a screenshot or description of the exact blocks you’re having trouble with. Be sure to include what you expect to happen and what actually happens when you preview those blocks.

Thanks so much.
I’m working with your demo, but I cannot use the D&D version of Thunkable, because I need Text to Speech and so on … I’m already spending a lot of my time in my Custom DVL, and making it look fine. I cant use list Viewer… imagine I have 18+ thousands similar words . . .
Anyway I’ll try to do my best.
Thanks again for everything