I need help making a census app and pet tracker

Not too used to JSON :sweat_smile:

No, you can ignore the location block. If you want to use the data from it, just replicate what’s shown in the documentation.

Sure, thanks very much! I will do that.

When I live test it on my phone, the app is crashing when it’s time for the location sensor block to come into play.

happened twice

The location sensor returns STRING values, but the Map needs NUMERIC values.

(I wish thunkable would fix this)

To solve the problem:

2 Likes

Thanks very much for this😊 This is the first time I’m using either component, so I wasn’t aware of this.

1 Like

Hi!
The map is showing up now, but its location is San Francisco for some reason. Since that’s not where I am, could you please tell me what the issue might be? I added @drted’s suggestion of +0 blocks. That’s what made the map visible, but there’s no marker, and definitely the wrong location.
Thanks!

You have to set the map’s latitude and longitude before placing any markers:

See Maps by Google and Apple - ✕ Docs for more details about this.

I recommend always Googling [component] thunkable when starting to use a new component (e.g. map).

I do that: community.thunkable.com always turns up(or docs). Thanks for the help!

Without all your answers, I wouldn’t have progressed one bit in the app! Thanks to all the Thunkers!

You’re welcome.

Here’s a demo I just made to test this:

Thanks so much! This is working wonderfully!!

1 Like

Is there any way I can share the map in a SMS? Because the app needs to send the location as well.
And, the app allows you to take a photo of the dog, or upload one from your phone. When I try the app(live test), it send the file link instead of the image itself. I do know that there is a ‘share image’ option with the share component, but that only allows you to share it on Whatsapp. I’m looking for a SMS here.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
@codeswept

Are you trying to send the message to users of your app or non-users?

From users to non-users

I don’t have a lot of experience with Cloudinary but I believe you’d upload the images there and then share the url it generates:

https://docs.thunkable.com/media-db

I don’t know for pictures, I would use cloudinary. You can send a Google map url with the location

That’s probably a better idea. Just generate a valid Google Map url from the lat/lon info.

another design possiblity. It sound like your app is designed so that users who are concerned about animal tracking will download your app and share pictures of animals with their contacts who do NOT have your app. You might think about including a link to your app to recruit users who are concerned about the problem. That would allow friends of friend of friends of friends to communicate more effectively through your app. That would make up for some of the limitations of communicating outside of Thunkable.

Just a thought. I’m getting excited about seeing your app!