Help a beginner figure out Google Calendar API

Thanks for clicking! Here’s what’s up.

I am creating a homework manager app and want to integrate an in-app calendar. I initially googled this question and found a guy giving instructions for a JavaScript framework. Tried that, but all it did was open my iPhone’s native calendar which is not the goal.

I am a complete beginner to APIs and I know a tad bit about thunkable but definitely need my hand held through this process. Can someone help me figure out how to:

1. Connect to a google calendar API (or other method of an in-app modifiable calendar)
  2. Display that calendar and be able to create/modify events
  3. Have push notifications be sent on corresponding calendar dates/times

Please help me out. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @vadenhal :wave:

Sounds like a cool idea for an app. In order of difficulty/complexity:

I’d recommend the date input component for this.

It might be possible to do this with the API component, but an no-code integration like Zapier or Integromat might the best bet? See more here:

The current Push Notification component isn’t really set up for this. I’d recommend that if you’re going with Google Calendar, for example, that when you create an event you also add in a 10 minute or 1 minute reminder before the event starts. That will ping your users when the need it.

2 Likes

@domhnallohanlon How to set reminder automatically in google calendar with thunkable? With google calander api? Can i get google calander api docs from google?
Thanks!
Regards,
TechIndia Team

Hey @tchind, I’m not an expert with Google Calendar - I’d recommend using your favourite search engine to find examples for how to do this.

@domhnallohanlon @jared @cttricks @Jane @actech @thunkexperts
@jacob1
How to set reminder automatically in google calendar with thunkable? With google calander api? Can i get google calander api docs from google?
Thanks!
Regards,
TechIndia Team!
@domnahalon I had searched!I never add a question to community without searching on google.com!

First, I suggest that you learn how to make requests to the calendar via Http in the browser.

If you succeed, then you can go to work with it via Thunkable X. But, as it is written in the help, it is easier to work with the calendar via Javascript. However, this option requires programming skills and has some special features.

I haven’t tried implementing a reminder, so I won’t tell you exactly how to do it.

Done.

1 Like