Google Data Safety Violation - Thunkable Android Build Issue

I keep getting this violation from Google Play for my app.

We found an issue in the following area(s):

  • Version code 4: Policy Declaration - Data Safety Section: Location Data Type - Precise Location

The only thing I have added was Admob and have already declared the use of Device ID in the
Data Safety form. I am not sure how Location features were added to my App.
can anyone advise on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Hello @raviragas7y0ecx
Could you please share the specific project URL with us so we can investigate it further?

You could copy it from the top of your browser.

This way we could find the best solution for you.

Hi @ioannis

Here is the link:
https://x.thunkable.com/projects/666120c8604b788955dab0c2/openProject/designer

Interestingly, my initial submission was approved.
My update (which was only UI-specific) is being rejected for this reason.

*** An Update ***
I am having the same issue with another App Update.
The original version was approved and now the update has been rejected for the same reasons.

Has Thunkable changed something for the Android Build in the last few weeks that could cause this issue? My iOS submissions are being accepted.

Thanks!

Hello @raviragas7y0ecx
Thank you for sharing your project URL.
I will take a look at your project and will follow up as soon as possible.

Dear @ioannis

Thanks! Hope it can be resolved soon as I am unable to publish the Android App updates
for ALL my Apps because of this issue.

*** An Update ***
My earlier apps that were submitted have also been flagged for the same issue.
They all use AdMob but nothing related to “Precise Location”.
So far Apple Appstore hasn’t reported this for my Apps.

Thanks!

Hello @raviragas7y0ecx
Thank you for sharing more information.
I sent you a copy of your project into a personal message
Could you please check it?

Dear @ioannis @matt_conroy

My App has ads and I already went through the whole process of waiting for it to be approved some time back. Now to test a copy, I have to go through the whole process again.
I have other Apps in the PlayStore all being flagged for the same issue.
It will be very frustrating for any developer to go through the whole process of
copying a project again and again, and then go through the approval process of AdMob
every time there is a rejection from PlayStore which Thunkable is not able to resolve.

Can you please check the original project again and see if there is an issue as
to why Location Services are being enabled even though I am not using them.

The current solution that you suggested doesn’t solve the root cause of the problem
and it may just keep resurfacing to the annoyance of developers.

Thank You!

Hi @raviragas7y0ecx, thanks for reaching out.

I certainly understand your frustration here. From what we have seen with URL to your project, there is nothing in your app should merit having their app rejected by google for location collection issues.

Sometimes, this issue comes into play if there is a remnant of information from a component used and then deleted (in this case, something involving a location sensor) that is still showing up. This could happen even if you only momentarily add a component into your app and then delete it. Making a copy of the app, like Ioannis had done, will alleviate this issue as what might have been there before is not present at the time the new copy of the app is created.

Looking over the logs, these are the components present in the app when it was published, do you mean for all them to be in here?
Screen
Lottie
Button
Label
AdMob Banner Image
PDFReader
Label
RichText
Timer
AdMob
Interstitial
Amplitude
Sound

Dear @matt_conroy and @ioannis

Thank you for looking into this.
The components you listed are what I need for my app.
I can confirm that I didn’t add any component related to location-based services.
The same App has not been flagged for any issue (so far) in the Apple AppStore.

My current theory is this:

  • When AdMob is used on Android Devices, location-tracking is included
    to further personalize the delivered Ads.
  • This does not happen for iOS devices, maybe due to privacy-related restrictions.

I am not sure, but this is the only explanation I can think of.

I can update the Data Safety form to state this, but I want to be sure that this
is indeed the reason.

Thanks!

Hello @raviragas7y0ecx
We have successfully identified the root cause and created a solution. Currently, we are in the process of testing it and working on a plan to release it in production, ensuring that everything will function as usual.
I will provide an update as soon as possible.
Thank you for your time and patience in this matter.