DVL to start each new session at the last position that was clicked in the previous one

Hi Thunkers:
I am trying to get my DVL to start each new session at the last position that was clicked in the previous one. But these blocks don’t seem to get it. Does anyone have a solution, or an example for this?
Thanks

1 Like

What have you tried?
What are your blocks?
Without we can’t really hekp

Also i don’t think there are blocks for that

-Luke

1 Like

There is little that you can do to control a DVL but there are round ways to do that based on the following understanding.

1- Your table has a column to show which are the used rows and which are not.
2- You have designed the necessary routine to copy the required rows into a local table.
3- Your local table is the one bound to the DVL.

The other way is:
1- Your table has a column indicating the used rows.
2- This table is bound to the DVL.
3- You have designed your necessary code blocks to hide unwanted rows.

In either case, the DVL has no control over the order of the rows and it will display the chronological order of the underlying table.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Muneer, sorry about the blocks

I did’t have a column to show which are the used rows and which are not, but I can add it now

2 Likes

I’m not following you in this. I don’t know what this screen should mean. I can quickly make a demo to show you what I mean by that should it be necessary.

Would be appreciated

Since it’s about vocabulary lists, the first method would be better, I think, since you don’t have to hide the unwanted rows, but what is the routine to copy the required rows into a local table? Will they change color, and that color will remain permanently, signaling that they have been used?

1 Like

See this demo
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61f0476b296e6a0012be7d8e

It has two tables (I used Local tables for access restrictions with Google sheet). One table to simulate the main table and the other the one that is being deleted and recreated every time by the app.

The idea is you would normally have a routine (coding blocks) that once a word is used the column (is_used) will be updated to “Y” which will then not get displayed by the DVL.

This is a simple approach to show the mechanism behind it.

2 Likes

Ok, Thank you . I’ll have a look at it as soon as possible.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve been trying to see how the blocks you sent work, but I don’t notice any difference: I use them, stop executing it, put it back… and it shows exactly the same as the previous time. I’ve tried pointing the DVL to the normal file , or to the temp_word_list file, and the result is the same. I’ve tried mine, to no avail. Actually, I don’t have a single word, but 4 for each row, that’s why I tried it this way. In MyDVL1 you can see that the first two rows have been executed, and all the words, and their pronunciations, appear in green, while the others are unchanged. But if I leave that page, and go back in, the color that marks that they have already been used disappears. My original idea was that they should always be marked, so that the user would know where he was going, although he could review them at will.
For now I keep most of the big files I use inside the app. I know it’s not the best, but I don’t know how to designate the necessary routine to copy the required rows into a local table.

en MyDVL2 está lo que he intentado aplicar de lo que me decias, sin exito

I have also created the “Temp_xxx” files, and added the “is_used” column, but as I told you, without good results

1 Like

in MyDVL2 is what he is trying to apply from what you told me, without success

You can not run before you learn how to walk.

Can you first let me know if you have run the demo project I shared?
Have you established that the list of words shown in the DVL are the rows that contains nothing in the is_used column?

Did you study how this is all done?
Did you replicate it this way using a separate project?

Trying to dive in immediately into your app might not be a good idea and you are explaining things as if I know exactly what is in your project which just leaves me confused of what you are trying to achieve.

Hi Muneer
I know I dot even walk, I feel myself crawling in these programming issues. Anyway,
Yes I have run your proyect as it is: I run it, click on the words, exit back to editing, enter the blocks again, and everything is the same as before. That’s why I thought: perhaps pointing the DVL to the other Data file… I look inside the “word list” data source, and it always have the same "Y"s in the colum “is_used”, in the very same place, no matter how many words I clicked, so no, I don’t see any changes in your demo proyect. Sorry.

1 Like

And I tried to replicate it this way using my own separate project, as you can see in MyDVL2 picture I sent

I have not coded how to change rows. That was not the purpose of the demo.

You can easily bind the demo to a Google sheet. This way you can have the advantage of keying the “Y” yourself in the sheet and see what happens with the demo. You will see the newly used “word” vanishes from the list.

How you will decide that this “word” is used or not is a different part of your app.

OK. But I just can’t see your data is being deleted and recreated every time by the app, with the blocks you sent. I can’t see any changes.

1 Like

Anyway, now that you may know my idea for my particular case, and that I’m just trying to crawl in here, do you have any other specific blocks suggestions? and you know a picture is worth a thousand words,m

Thunkable platform does not provide a way to view the local table data apart from through the app.

This is the main reason why you don’t see any change. This is also the main reason I suggested to connect the project with Google sheet or Airtable tables to see the effect directly from Google or Airtable.

Now, it’s not a bad idea, and I would like, among other things, to make the app lighter and safer… but you know that I don’t have much knowledge of this matter, so what you tell me seems correct to me , even great, but I can’t get too far… If I have to create the necessary routines, I have to follow some example, because I don’t know how to think as a programmer. I thought that your blocks just worked, and I tried to apply it in my app, with no apparent result. So, I am trying and doing the best I can, with my little knowledge. In addition, the Thunkable app examples are not grouped by theme or applied block features, so every step I take costs me a lot of work, searching almost uselessly, and based on constant questions to the community.
I see that you participate a lot in the community trying to help, with explanations and examples. It is a great job that we all appreciate.

1 Like