Do stored variables get removed when an App is updated?

Wondering if any of you had published apps using stored variables and then sent out an update? Does the variable remain in the app when that happens or is it removed?

1 Like

As long as com.yourdomain.yourapp has not been changed, the stored variables should be accessable.

I tested it in normal APK update.

1 Like

@muneer would that still be the case if you duplicate your project maintaining the same com.yourdomain.yourapp? I believe I read in a similar thread that if you duplicate a project, Android will reinitialise the stored variables when you update the app on the device.

1 Like

I have never tried it and don’t see a reason to have same app from same developer twice. Unless I did not understand what you were trying to say.

Scenario: You want to keep your app’s version history so before you work on a new version, you duplicate the existing version and begin editing the duplicate, adding new features, fixing bugs etc. The new duplicate is going to have a new Thunkable project ID (i.e. https://x.thunkable.com/projects/1238418276498726334) which will not be identical to the old version’s. As mentioned before, I think that I read in another thread that if the project ID is different, the new app version will be treated as “new” even if the com.yourdomain.yourapp app identifier will remain the same. That’s why I asked if you had the opportunity to test this scenario.

From what I trialed, user input stored variables do remain on update.

So if you store text or something that a user inputs in a stored variable. If you update the app the information they entered will remain.

1 Like

@huntermclarkn even in the scenario I described?

Not with a different project id, since it was just an app update it was with the same project id

1 Like