Data pulled from Google sheets (1200 records) take a very long time to show

Hi,
I have a Google sheets which serves as a Data source (it is for a community phone book). I have a Data Viewer object which shows the whole list (although it takes a little time for the records to appear when I scroll down the list).
When clicking an entry, I want to show details of this person (Data from the Google sheets). It takes a very long time for the Data to show.
This is both in preview and also after building the apk.

I’d appreciate guidance or help.
TY
Yossi

1 Like

Can you show your blocks so someone can see what makes it too long to get you the vales?

I have a bunch of Labels which show the relevant info of the selected record (row).
Thank you

1 Like

The delay is probably due to making several different back to back api calls. Each time you call google sheets you send a message to the google API’s, and then wait on a response. Our blocks don’t execute without having received a response. So, you call, wait, apply label, the. Do it again. And again. And again. And again.

I would recommend storing objects of data if you can predictably use the data in this manner. Then you could make 1 call and consume a Json object vs making several individual calls for 1 piece of info.

Firebase is a great tool for this exact use case. Perhaps consider restructuring your data such that you do not need to make so many different data calls.

3 Likes

This will, undoubtedly, introduce huge delay.

If I were you, I would create a variable to retrieve the row information all at once. then I use in the row object to populate the labels.

Example code

3 Likes

OK. Thank you. I will try your suggestion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.