Control Email using IFTTT

Hi @appdevelopertcs. Did you success in sending emails without opening the mail app on the device? Thanks in advance!

@danibarzo16i718 - this would generally be considered a very bad practice.

Just personally I would never install an app that had permission to silently and secretly send emails without knowledge.

Perhaps you could tell us a little more about that type of app you are trying to build and who you are building it for?

Thanks.

Hi @domhnallohanlon, what about if you want to inform (by email) to one customer that one “professional” for example has accepted his request in the APP? It is important that the APP (from the app’s email)can inform to customer.

So it is not silently and secretly sending emails through the user’s email but informing through the APP’s email.

@danibarzo16i718 please use the :pencil2: Edit button rather than creating multiple posts in the future, thanks. I’ve merged your posts into one for you this time.

If it’s all in the app then you don’t need access to email at all, right?

For example, the customer places an order through your app and that order gets sent to some backend service - in this case let’s say Airtable. You could then use something like IFTTT or Integromat to send an email to the store/service provider with the order details.

I have recently accomplished this feat using a google app script and api call!

I could make a tutorial potentially, but sounds like not a great idea? What is your input @domhnallohanlon ?

I incorporated that feature for a FB email to be sent to me directly from the app

1 Like

But in this case the app script is notifying the vendor that a new customer order has originated from the app, right?

Sounds interesting…answer the first part first! :smile:

I suppose so. The subject of the email says “FB for flightracker” but it doesn’t alert the App user that an email is being sent this way. There’s just a submit button and it completes an api call to my script. The script send the email to me.

ok, but what does the “From” field say? is it from user@gmail.com or jared@gmail.com?

In my experience with these scripts I would associate my own email address with it, and then I can do additional filtering etc in my inbox based on things like the subject line, like you’ve mentioned.

hah

aha! I actually created a gmail account for the app itself. idk how long it will last but it was only for testing purposes to make sure i could do that.

The from would be “appname@gmail.com” subject: “appName feedback” body: {sender: “email if provided”, body: “whatever the user typed”}

1 Like

Yep - this is exactly what I would do, and what I would recommend @danibarzo16i718 do too.

Daniel, perhaps that was what you wanted to do in the first place, but perhaps Jared can put together a tutorial for this?

Also, do you know if Integromat would work for something like this too @jared? (only asking since I know you used it in your own app?

absolutely! I do use this in my first big project! Integromat was limited. i was able to get some workarounds by limiting when it ran. I’ll see what I can do this week! I am working on another project rn.

I would be happy to put together a tutorial for “Two ways to send email from your app!”

1 Like

Yes @domhnallohanlon, that is exactly what i want to do. Send automated mails (from appname@gmail.com) when the user trigger the condition (for example accepting one published request in the APP). Sorry if i was not clear at the beginning!

2 Likes