Can I get the code of the app that I will build?

Hello everyone,

I want to know whether I will be able to get the code of the application that I will build using this platform. I’m new here and now I’m prototyping in future I might shift to standalone build of the application. So after building this application, Will I be able to export the code?

Please help.

Hi @rameshpersuader5vhy ,

You can download your apk for Android or you can publish your project to the App Store or as a Mobile Web app, but at the moment our build system doesn’t export any sort of source code.

Which language do you usually use?

What sort of app are you hoping to build with Thunkable?

I’m not a developer but I know c++ but it is not feasible for building apks. I’m building an online aggregation services like uber and ola. But not for taxis. In future we might have to build a totally independent app in that case we might need the source code

Sounds like a cool idea for an app!

I’d recommend you validate your idea with Thunkable - figure out who your users are, where they are and whether or not you app can be financially self-sufficient.

See if you can get 10,000 users or 100 customers first, then you can reevaluate your tech stack.

Best of luck with it!

1 Like

Or are there any plans through which users can get the source code? I need to sort this out before I plan to use this platform. Assume, after 6 months I want to make changes to the tech stack for which I need the source code. How would I get it? Is this feature not available to keep users stick to this platform?

It’s something that has been discussed since Thunkable launched but it’s not something we’re actively working on.

I think the most important thing you could do in the short term is get out there and validate your idea as quickly as possible. This is what Thunkable excels at. It allows you to get your idea to the biggest audience possible for (probably) the lowest input in terms of both time and money. In a couple of months and for less than $1000 you can achieve what traditionally might have taken twice or three times as long and cost five or ten times as much.

If you get to a point where you have customers (and maybe even investors?) and Thunkable no longer suits your needs then hire a team and launch version 2 with a different stack…at least you’ll be at a point where you know you idea has value at warrants investing additional time and money in.

If your biggest concern about starting a Thunkable project is that your app might be a run away success then you should stop worrying and start using Thunkable!

3 Likes

Well thanks for the suggestion. I have been working on this project for the last two years and we have finished prototyping our device and it has an established use case. The only thing important here is the time consumption. Yeah, as you said this is well and good for the beginning stage but this might not be useful in cases when businesses scale. That’s the main concern. Also I’m unable to disclose the whole product as it is still in patent-pending stage.

Got it! Ok, well if you decide to go down the Thunkable route you know where to find us.

We’re a pretty helpful bunch here in the community if you are trying to accomplish something in your project.

1 Like