Are there any limits of Firebase Realtime Database?

Hi,

I’ve just started using Firebase with my app, and I am wondering if there are any limits to it : I just want to particularly know about # of project buckets & items…

I searched up on the internet, but I could not find relevant docs of any limits of realtime database…

Please help me If you know anything :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
3 Likes

you can see the limits/pricing here:

2 Likes

Thanks, @sketch & @catsarisky!

I found this snap :

What do they mean by GB stored & GB downloaded? I get the stored but what’s downloaded?

2 Likes

Stored is the size of your actual database. Downloaded would be downloads of data into your app. Or at least, that’s my best guess. :slight_smile:

If you go into Usage and Billing on your firebase’s project page, you can see something like this:

I’m not too worried about that project getting over the limit any time soon. :wink:

3 Likes

download is how much the firebase server total download a day.

3 Likes

Firebase has very generous limits in the free package and the only issue is the number of times your app is getting data in a month which is the download limit.

3 Likes

Fill it up and query millions of records in under 1 second. I don’t think there’s a limit to bucket depth.

Pricing s on point if you get the blaze plan

4 Likes

Thanks, @muneer & @jared!

I am still confused about the download limit - does downloading data into app mean the data I retrieve from DB? Do the item keys count in storing size?

Also, If I continue over the free plan & I am about to reach my limits, I can upgrade for pay as I go mode? Like $1/GB, etc.

Thanks!

2 Likes

The downloaded limit is all data transmitted from your FB to your app. Google will notify you when you are about to reach your limit.

1 byte = 1 character

2 Likes

Thanks, @muneer !

I get it now, Storage = size of my DB, and Downloads = the amount I retrieved. Thanks!

Also, do you know whether the keys of the items are considered or not in the bytes? Like the key customer has 8 characters, thus 8 bytes. And its value is let’s say kartik, which is 6 char. = 6 bytes.
So, if I retrieve the item customer, will it be considered as 8bytes + 6bytes = 14bytes OR just the size of the value, which is 6bytes?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, keys are included and all the other stuff around them such as “:” that separate the key from the value and “,” that separate one key-value pair for the other.

But these are all bytes and you would not need to worry about them. The limit given is already generous.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help! Well I am working on a big app, so I am trying to reduce the storage and retrievals as much as I can, so my DB doesn’t slow down :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks a lot! :grinning: Have a great day :wave:

3 Likes

A good strategy is to retrieve a big chunk of data at once and save that as an app variable and then manipulate that data in the app instead of querying the database every now and then.

Of course this is useful for static or slow changing data. It will not be proper for dynamic ones.

3 Likes

Yes, That’s exactly what I am building. I have almost completed my code model around this idea :slightly_smiling_face:

Thankfully, I do not have any dynamic/fast-changing data - so this works just perfect for me :grinning:

Thanks!

3 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes