Adding Speech Recognizer in DnD

Just want to add a speech recognizer component in DnD. How do I do it ? I click on Speech in the sidebar and I see this stuff:

But I need to get an instance of speechrecognizer. What am I missing ? Feels unintuitive to me tbh.

1 Like

Right-click on the “recognized speech” block and choose “Show advanced block.” Then you’ll see what is shown in the documentation:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply @tatiang

I have to say even your instructions didn’t immediately make sense. This has to be one of the most un-intuitive things going:

Left Click Speech #1 then right-click on Recognized Speech in blah #2 to get the advanced tab.

Think about it - without the advanced tab showing and then having the block to allow start listening or whatever, the block that is there by default is the ‘recognized speech…’ - but there’s no way to use that block unless you have gone to the advanced tab.

It sounds like you’re new to Thunkable and like every product, it has a learning curve. The “recognized speech” block will work just fine if you attach it to a label, for example. It listens and then returns the value it recognizes. It’s just a shortcut vs. the advanced block that takes more effort to do the same thing.

A while ago, the “advanced” version of the blocks were the default. Thunkable made a decision to simplify some of the blocks. I assume they did that to help new users feel more comfortable with the product. A lot of users get thrown off by the green “error” blocks, for example.

I much prefer the “advanced” blocks myself.

2 Likes

I did try that and I couldn’t get it to work - hence my desire to look for the ‘Start listening’ block - thinking that that is what I needed.

Interesting. On the assumption that was the reason, or at least part of it, this will result in a lot more questions when something goes wrong.

Agreed. And they are really not advanced anyway tbh

Apologies, I meant DnD - this dual UI thing is confusing.

So, this is what I have. All I want to do is to display text of what has been spoken:
So all I get is ‘undefined’ as the caption of the label (web page in web viewer using the js bridge) immediately and no ‘tone’ to indicate start of listening.

Any ideas ?

:wink:
try this @collabor8te.projectq
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 8.13.47 PM

It’s an odd block and i’ll try to update the docs this coming week to make it more clear. how to use this.

2 Likes

Ok thanks.

Next problem is that the label now displays ‘…needs permission to record audio’. I cannot locate where to state that the app needs this permission - checked in the app settings etc but I assume it is supposed to be in the build from Thunkable as I’m using the speech recognizer correct ?

You probably need to enable it via the app settings on your phone. When I use this block it asked me for permission to use the speech recognize her. I’m using an iOS device if that is relevant.

1 Like

I did try that and it is interesting (Android) that:

1. I didn’t get asked during install
  2. In app permissions there is nothing for speech recognition - only ‘Files and Media’ so allowed that. Other than that there is only ‘Location’ and ‘Phone’. With all 3 of those permissions on, still no joy

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.