A Sign Language Translator

I am trying to make a sign language translator but I can’t see the pictures when I try to. I have searched up someone else’s project that was similar to me and having the same problem but, it is from a couple of years ago so the blocks that she has aren’t the same as what I have.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do. It appears that you are trying to see if a url is equal to a letter and checking that same condition 26 times (neither value changes during the loop). What are some sample values of the url from Asl.html? What happens when you set a label’s Text to that url? What does it display during the loop?

Please describe what you expect the blocks to do.

Is “url from uploaded file” a custom function? If so, you need to provide a screenshot of what those blocks do. We can’t troubleshoot what we can’t see.

1 Like

I believe this is part of the Camera and Media drawer.

Yes, thank you… I did just find it. I can’t find that block in the documentation but I think it’s because it’s the regular view and not the advanced view of the block. Okay, so that returns the Cloudinary url. But it takes an image file as input, not an html file. I’m still confused about what @swingrove277zgvv is trying to do here.

1 Like

Me too. I tried to understand but could nor wrap my head around it.

Thank you for responding @tatiang. I don’t really know what I was doing either. I am making an app for a school assignment. I was looking at the Thunkable Community for help and saw one from June 2021 which you responded to called " [Sign Language App - Please Help] (Sign Language App - Please Help) ." I was basically trying to copy what she put to try and help me but most of the blocks she has I can’t find on Thunkable. So, I tried to find similar blocks. It obviously didn’t work but what I was expecting the blocks to do is whenever you type in a phrase or word and hit submit, the app would show images of how to say that word/phrase in sign language. I have realized though that the url wouldn’t do anything because it is just the alphabet in sign language and the program won’t recognize it so, I will have to individually put them in.

2 Likes

For the project you linked to, they used Airtable to store a list of words and a series of images. So when you type in a word, it searches Airtable for that word and if a match is found, it displays the image that is stored in Airtable. So you would need to store all possible words and all possible images in a database. It could be done locally in the app as a table/database or in the cloud using Airtable (recommended) or Google Sheets (which would require you to store the photos elsewhere such as in Cloudinary).

The loop they used was increasing the row number in Airtable in order to loop through all possible row values. When you have a loop, you usually use the loop variable (in that screenshot, “i”) within the blocks somehow. That was missing from what you posted above.

This is a beginner/intermediate project in Thunkable. Expect to spend a few hours re-creating this if you are new to Thunkable.

1 Like

While it’s true that SLA is capable of expressing many English words with signs and gestures, it is still possible to spell out words letter by letter by using the equivalent symbol for each letter.
It is a nice starting project in thunkable to translate any word to SLA by spelling it out. Then we only need a local database of 26 letters and their associated SLA symbol,

3 Likes

Here’s something for fun to get you started!
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61f9528661867a0180454565

2 Likes

wow that’s pretty fast - and the design allows for extension. just add more languages to the right as needed
and add a splash screen to pick the language desired (and internally set the appropriate column!).
i just learned that there’s BSL (british sign language, AUSLAN (autralian sign language) and LIBRAS (brazilian sign language),.
quick and nice demo!

2 Likes

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was trying to figure out how to program the app. I have this much so far but the images in the program aren’t showing up. We are having some errors in the coding. I have to present this next week and just cannot figure it out. If you could give some more advice to add to the presentation that would be great. I hope for feedback in good time. Thank you for the help! I tried to understand what you told the other person but I couldn’t really understand it. Below is the Airtable and the Thunkable programming.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 08.43.23
Screenshot 2022-02-22 08.43.47

1 Like

You say the images are not showing up. In your screenshot, you are assigning the image url from Airtable to the app variable Image. But you aren’t actually setting a Thunkable component (image or button) to that variable. So it’s not going to show anything.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much! That will hopefully solve the problem. If it doesn’t I will make sure to ask you for help! I will also give you recognization during the presentation since you were a big help.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good luck with fixing it and with your presentation. No need to thank me during your presentation.

2 Likes