🎨 WDC #13 Create an app to showcase a place or culture you care about

@codeemaker as long as you have a /projectPage/ link or a published web app that you can share at the end then I don’t see why not?

So, I was in more of a games than an information sort of mood. And my app had to involve poodles, while pretending to stick with the theme, travel and culture. So… without further ado, I present you with an early draft of Poodle Doodles Travel Agency.

Try it here: thunkablecompanion

Feedback and bug reports appreciated! (And unclear directions.)

The game is functional, but the closing screen is almost absent (instead of being a cute postcard from the poodle to her family…), and I’m not totally happy with layout/theming on the main screen. (I wanted it to work on both a small phone, the web, and a tablet. That was a big challenge.) And directions are probably marginal.

Monday update: Directions improved. Started working on a closing screen that displays a postcard with results. Layout is hard. Still working on it. :slight_smile:

Tuesday update: Directions improved more (need to add more images). Closing screen getting closer. Decided to quit trying to make both orientations work. New link here: thunkablecompanion

8 Likes

What an interesting approach! I went the information way, but looking to add some fun stuff after seeing yours. Hope you don’t mind!

3 Likes

thats great @catsarisky

2 Likes

the best idea i could come up with was an app to track places visited and after toying with the idea i realized i was building a bucket list tracker in the guise of a tourist app. so i said, why not make it generic so it could track places visited AND any other list to keep track of.

i’m embarassed to submit it as an entry because it is so simple and it has only these 4 functions:

the datasource is one google sheet workbook but constructed to allow any number of lists to track.
the first screen shows the available lists being tracked - currently it shows two places_to_visit trackers but it could have been showing addional lists of books to read, foods to taste, etc. by simply editing the google sheet. the 2nd list shows the items that belong in the tracker list selected. clicking on an entry leads to screen 3 - for updating an item as having been DONE (it also serves as a toggle for un-doing what has been marked DONE before).

here’s the link to the project.
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/f74a8a4fcec766468f5749de5864b894

it requires a google sheet (with name of buckmast ) and here’s a public link to my version.

So next time you’re visiting Toragbat or Corhum, make sure you have this app with you!

8 Likes

BĂĄnh MĂŹ Near Me

Web App demo (limited functionality – Yelp API and YouTube playback via Web Viewer do not work in a browser):
https://thunkable.site/w/VukDhec94

Video demo:

I think this is a great WDC theme but I was a little overwhelmed thinking about how to make something for it. It feels like something that would take me a while to create.

But what popped into my mind was… food! I’ve been on kind of a mission to find the best Bánh Mì sandwich in the SF Bay Area. Bánh Mì are Vietnamese sandwiches. I’ve so far sampled about a dozen restaurants’ faire.

And I realize that what I’ve created here is just a limited version of Yelp but… once in a while it’s good to be able to narrow the focus and just create an app for me. :slight_smile:

And the beauty of this approach, which is API based, is that by changing one text string from “Bánh Mì” to anything else (“steak”, “dessert”, “vegan, etc.”), I could instantly have an app that focuses on another type of cuisine. Here’s the exact same app but with “hot fudge sundae” replacing “Bánh Mì”:

Cultural caveats:
I realize that food in of itself does not represent a culture holistically and also that this particular food is born from colonialization. So focusing on it is potentially problematic. The video I included in the app does go into that history briefly.

Components used:
Web API (Yelp Fusion API)
Web Viewer
Location Sensor
Data Viewer Grid

External Sites used:
https://getemoji.com for text-based button icons
Best JSON Viewer and JSON Beautifier Online for re-formatting API results
How To Make Banh Mi with Andrea Nguyen - YouTube
https://www.color-hex.com/color-palettes for color palettes with hex values

8 Likes

Best app name EVAH!

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
So here is my entry …its called he World of Heritage…It shows you state by state culture, tourism and history … try attempting the quiz! For certification send a screenshot of your result to us! :rofl: :rofl:

Project Page -Thunkable

Built use DnD on Thunkable X.

7 Likes

Nice work, @tchind. You really shouldn’t post your real name, photo, school name and where you live on the Internet. Please consider replacing the screenshot above to remove/hide those details.

3 Likes

@tchind I’m just giving you advice that as a minor, you should keep that kind of information private. Where you post it is up to you and whether or not you follow my advice but… it’s safest to keep your personal information private.

Please check with your teachers and parents and follow their advice on this!

1 Like

ok…

@tatiang I love your idea! The UI is great too.

Here’s my submission, OUTLINE INDIA.
Most of us miss travelling during COVID, so, this is a game about travelling through India virtually!

Idea

I took inspiration from @catsarisky and made a game app. Initially, I had planned to make an information app about India but ended up making OUTLINE INDIA. It’s basically an online, one-player board game, with a dice.

How to play

The aim of the game is to get from Kochi (starting city) to Madurai (end city) while keeping as much money as you can. You start with ₹20000 and click on the dice to roll. Your itinerary is preplanned, with 13 major cities making up the route. On each shake, you receive a situation that’s native to the city you are in! You both make and lose money throughout the game. You have to pay for tickets to move from one city to the other.

Screenshots

Play

Here’s the link: Thunkable

Stats

Total blocks: 467
Time taken: 4 hours total(I had to think of 78 situations)
Components used: Data viewer list, Labels, Buttons, Image, and List Viewer.

5 Likes

Great app and nice design. The find Button did not work for me but the info screen works. The theme is great. I was even tricked by the back arrow in the screen thinking that it’s part of Wikipedia site.
:+1:

2 Likes

Cool app. Two pieces of feedback, if you wanted to develop it further.

1. As someone who has never been to India, those cities are just names to me. A map showing where we were going would have made it feel more like travel.
  2. Could you add images? I’d love to /see/ where I’m travelling to. There are lots of free images that you could include - I’ve found that Wikimedia Commons (Wikimedia Commons) is a good place to look for images that are Creative Commons licensed and can be included in an app.

Oops, 3 pieces of feedback:
What does the listviewer at the top of the app do?

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Such stuff os really helpful.

That’s a great idea! Will implement it immediately.

Another great idea! Images would really be helpful for people who haven’t been there.

Ah, that’s a DVL, not a list-viewer. I used it because I was planning on adding images anyway, and it would be easier to connect images of the city with the name if I used a DVL. I’m using it to display the itinerary for your travels. I’ll add a label there. Again, thanks for all the feedback!

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing your revision! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like how you provide the player a summary of their actions.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m done with my revision, I think it should work using the same link. Of course, the map component will not work on the web, so it’s better if you test it on your mobile/tab. I’ve also added images, and deleted the itinerary display. If there are any more features that you’d like to see, please let me know! Also, I’d love to know your end-of-the-game conditions😊

1 Like

The map is a great addition. But when I start the app and tap Play, it shows me Kochi and a map but there’s nothing (obvious) to tap to move on. The die shows up for a brief second and then disappears.

Edit: Sorry! Didn’t realize I had to scroll down.

2 Likes

I had to make it scrollable because the map needed to be a good size.

1 Like