Text Input Enable-Disable

Text Input has the feature “Enable” - “Disable” but this feature is not available in the blocks

Hi @vrbookings. I’m not sure if you are asking a question here. Let me try to answer though.

The text input does not have an enable/disable feature as the component is dependent upon at least one other action for anything to happen. If you want a text box to be ‘disabled’ you could apply some fancy logic to delete any text until another criterion has been met or you can simply make it invisible.

The easiest may be to disable a related submit text button/action until you would want the user to be able to do this.

Can you describe your use case or thinking for this?

Hi Jared,
my case it’s very simple, I have a screen with a Text Input, and I want to enable this field when an edit button is clicked.

I think this will solve you need
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/6a870052d48cdc8499044111d4fd6c0b
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 1.49.24 PM

The only thing in this solution @jared is that you hide the content of the Text Input… sometimes you want to show it, but don’t want the user to change the value.

In fact there is a property called “Editable (Android And IOS Only)” in the Advanced Tab in the Designer that is not available in the blocks… Today you can set this property at design time, but not at runtime.

Allow to change this via blocks will be the perfect solution for the case, don’t you think?

Regards!

3 Likes

I agree. That property would be useful to be able to change via blocks. I’ve gotten around it by having an editable text input component and a non-editable text input component, filling both with the same value whenever one of them is shown and then showing/hiding the other as needed. But it’s clunky.

3 Likes

@tatiang since you already demanded some improvements in Thunkable Github, what do you think to post this request as a suggestion too? :slight_smile:

1 Like

In DnD, I got around it by placing a group component on top of it. Whenever I want to disable editing, I make the group visible. If I want to allow editing, I make the group hidden.

1 Like

But this is hide and show function, but we allowed update profile page form user only update their specific field only so other form field are non-editable, so if you add this function in block are properties

1 Like

Try this. I made this quick demo to give the same effect of enable/disable
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/62459e3a5ce74e0012ae14cb

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: @muneer

1 Like

Hi, I’m looking for a similar capability (being able to show text but not let the user edit it until an ‘Edit’ button is clicked). The link you provided no longer seems to work. Would you be able to share it again please?