[Solved] ITMS-90809: Deprecated API usage (UIWebVew)

I am planning on this. But I am not using a webviewer. Will I be affected?

EDIT:
Our plan is that this will be updated by the end of the week so none of our users should be affected.

cc: @Chris @Michael_Rogulla @jared

3 Likes

Thanks @domhnallohanlon!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! :blush:

I am not publishing one, but now I am fear-free :smile:

Yeah I want to include it in a coming app. Do you have informations if there will be changes made only in the background or is it going to be a new component? I just wonder in case I would have to re-do some parts if it is not possible to use the same existing component.

Cheers, Chris

1 Like

Yep, itā€™s planned as a background-only change so the vast majority of users wonā€™t even realise weā€™ve updated/changed anything.

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for the prompt updates @domhnallohanlon, are there plans for the future to be able to pass info to the browser so we could use more html/JavaScript with our apps?

Specifically I am thinking of the google charts api that requires you to now use an html/java script page and to either use static or dynamic data.

For example, I would want my app to pass the users login email to the webviewer so the filter in the html/JavaScript only shows that users data.

2 Likes

maybe! :wink:

2 Likes

Soā€¦ itā€™s been a week. Any news?

1 Like

I think so. When you do webviewer there is an option to do a post

Hello everyone,

Did you read this announcement from Apple Store:

Updating Apps that Use Web Views

December 23, 2019

If your app still embeds web content using the deprecated UIWebView API, we strongly encourage you to update to WKWebView as soon as possible for improved security and reliability. WKWebView ensures that compromised web content doesnā€™t affect the rest of an app by limiting web processing to the appā€™s web view. And itā€™s supported in iOS and macOS, and by Mac Catalyst.

The App Store will no longer accept new apps using UIWebView as of April 2020 and app updates using UIWebView as of December 2020.

Is Thunkable using WKWebView now?

Thanks,
Sam

Yes.

2 Likes

This was updated back in March, but just wanted to close the loop on the issue here in the community too and gather all the posts about this together in the one place for posterity.

We released the update on March 26, which was just before Appleā€™s April deadline:

https://docs.thunkable.com/release-notes#mar-26-2020

cc: @sam_mo @Chris @L3on @steveh @Carlos_Bieberach @IWS

Hope that you iOS apps are working well with the new and improved web viewer!

1 Like