[Solved] Is there some reason why my blocks might start to lag?

Hayder, can you file a bug about this here. That will help us in prioritizing and tracking the issue. In that bug can you give an idea for approximately how many screens, components and blocks you have.

Thanks.

-Mark

2 Likes

same happens for me!!!

1 Like

Hello,

When Iā€™m dragging blocks around or moving a page with blocks UI is slow: blocks are not being redrawn until I release mouse button. Have checked similar services and they feel much more responsive, components redraw instantly when I move blocks or page, or zoom in/out. Tested on FF 69.

Hello,

When you move something in Thunkable X IDE (blocks or components), that each time there is an exchange with Thunkable server. This, as you know, will work less responsive in comparison with the case when there is no communication with the server when you move objects in the browser.

I can compare it with other online IDEā€™s with blocks. BTW stuff related to blocks should be in local storage, so moving it or dragging doesnā€™t require communication overhead: html, js etc is loaded and processed locally in a browser.

BTW stuff related to blocks should be in local storage, so moving it or dragging doesnā€™t require communication overhead: html, js etc is loaded and processed locally in a browser.

Should be - does not mean that the way it is.

It should be smooth for the product which has the subscription. For free service itā€™s OK, but for paid itā€™s not. UX should be fluid.

I agree with you, but would like to have smooth operation and for the free version. :cowboy_hat_face:

To accelerate the drag blocks initialisation locate all blocks in a single screen. This screen will be terribly slow down, but the rest of the screens will run faster.

These bad blocks inhibit operation block editor. Brings them to a separate screen.

%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5

3 Likes

I believe this is the solution !

1 Like

@actech
Thanks, Iā€™ll try.

1 Like

My project is quite large.
The ThunkbaleX site had become very slow. Its taking too much time to perform any simple task. Even if I just add or remove a block, it takes around 7-8 seconds which is making it impossible to create an app it.

If there is any solution to fix it, please help.

Advice: If there isnā€™t any solution on how to fix it, I would like to suggest the developers at Thunkble that you can make the blocks get removed from the site on ā€˜Collapsing The Blocksā€™ but they would be functional in the app.

This is an important problem for me too. Every single move or change is saved by automatically. There, may be used a save button separately.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely a limitation of a browser-based tool that when you get beyond a threshold of number of blocks youā€™re going to experience a slow down.

What is it that is requiring so many blocks? Is there a way to either separate them into separate screens or make the code more efficient? Thereā€™s often a way to use an Any Component block or a loop or another strategy for reducing the amount of code.

2 Likes

Why doesnā€™t Thunkable makes a desktop application then. Then that means ThunkableX can only be used to create small apps only.

:confused::confused:

1 Like

I used to have this problem as well but you can take this as a sign that the code of the app it needs to be simplify, what I did is not to exceed 300-400 blocks per screen and divide the task of the app between different screens ( I even have a screen only with a loading icon just performing a heavy task and then return a result) and remember that thunkable still has a lot of components that are missing since they arenā€™t available yet, once they are available youā€™ll need less code.

but take this as a possitive issue and improve your coding it can always be done better , it could help you to change the way your app work and make a better one

1 Like

block moving is very slow. 10 seconds per change. pls adviseā€¦

cannot work

1 Like

Hi @ANAND_VELANDY,

sorry to hear you are having issues with this. Iā€™ve worked with lots of projects that have several thousand blocks with out this much lag - can you tell us a bit more about your set-up please?

What browser are you using and do you have a lot of other tabs open? (and maybe how much RAM do you have?)
What is your internet speed like? Are there many (any?) other devices on your network?

Thanks

my one project has reached 1800 blocks. difficult to work.
i am using firefox.
have i3+4gb ram with 16 gb intel octane memory.
Broadband of 100mbps.

google chrome was getting really difficult. so tried firefox.

Did switching browsers make a difference to performance?

Have you considered refactoring your app to reduce the overall block count?

i am making a prototype sale app. it requires lots of features. how much max blocks can thunkable x handle?