[Solved] Is there some reason why my blocks might start to lag?

I also run into this white screen issue a lot after the update… seems to be kind of the same problem users have with not being able to save their latest changes properly… only thing that helped so far is to wait a second or two after each block movement :grimacing:

4 Likes

I also hope this can finally be addressed - I have had this issue for months :grimacing:

But the latest changes are gone :thinking:

1 Like

Yes! have to avoid that crash :laughing: , but I definitly rather to wait 5 segs after finishing changing all the blocks or moving aside a block I dont need to delete it later than wait 5 segs per move as It was before , very frustrating. without this lag thunkable feels totally different

2 Likes

Yes now it became to much faster, great job

Is there a plan to reduce apps size?

The site seemed to be a little slow for me yesterday. Most noticeably in the UI editor.

Hello,

I thought I should post here instead of creating a new topic, unless I am otherwise instructed :stuck_out_tongue:

Block lag appears to be gone! BUT, I am getting pretty bad lag in the design screen.

See here for a short video on what I’m experiencing.

Just to also confirm again, the block editor is fine. It is just the design screen.

Is anybody else experiencing this, or does Thunkable know about this?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Same here @eoinparkinson, it takes a while to add any components. And I’ve had a rough time moving screens around also.

I’m guessing another update is in the works for sometime soon

3 Likes

Hopefully.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: What’s faster, a variable or a label?

Definitely needed for more advanced projects. I am curious if it’s a platform limitation or the actual connection to x.thunkable is the bottle neck :thinking:

What’s your block count up to at the moment @eoinparkinson?

Hi @domhnallohanlon,

As of this reply:

• 2,088 blocks - entire app
  • 20 screens in total
  • Average 104.4 blocks per screen
  • Largest number of blocks on any one screen is 594, followed by 258 blocks.
  • 32 variables total, 3 of which are stored variables, the other 29 are app variables.

Designer & Block screens lag heavily with only 2-8 blocks on a screen, which are mostly on button clicks or when screen opens blocks.

This app is visual component heavy. The major concern is that there are more blocks to go in. Most of the visual work is done. The visual part of the app was done first as the designer screen is far worse than the block screen. A brutally honest opinion on the user experience right now is pretty bad. An end result can be achieved, but with excess work and time.

I am aware this is still a massive improvement from what it was before, though a project this large is still painfully slow. The app itself performs quickly. Apologies if this message came across rude, it definitely wasn’t a complaint, but more of a review. Thanks.

This sounds like a different type of lag, no?

You’re saying that you have a large number of visual elements in your component tree and that designer is laggy - is that right @eoinparkinson?

Correct. The blocks are also laggy but I believe this is caused by the visual component lag. If I had a screen with a few visual components and lots of blocks it wouldn’t be this bad.

The only thing I found that isn’t laggy is renaming components, otherwise changing texts, styles, moving components on the tree viewer and adding new components are all very slow. I get error messages from the browser saying the webpage is unresponsive and asks me to wait or leave now and again.

Thanks. Do you have a rough idea of how many UI component you have? It’s possible that just one is (like a map or animations for example) might be causing the slow down? I’d want to be able to reproduce this behaviour so I can get a better understanding of when and where this occurs.

Have I recommended Loom to you before? Can you do a quick screen recording and PM or email it to me so I can share with the rest of the team.

2 Likes

I’ll be home soon and I’ll do up a recording. I’ll DM it to you then if that’s alright.?

Thanks.

I am experiencing the same. It has become so bad that it seems like I need to stop working on the app. Images aren’t uploading properly, it is impossible to move screens, waiting times after doing any kind of action are anywhere between 10-30 seconds. :cry:
The design screen has become mostly unusable for me. The blocks screen works fine.
I literally just bought a new computer because I initially thought the lag had to do with my tiny RAM, but the lag didn’t get any better.
It’s super frustrating. I was willing to pay for the tool as soon as I’m ready to launch. But as it is now, there is no chance I can launch at all.
It took me a long time to get to this point. Dropping the project now and starting with a different tool would be pretty devastating. I’m 100% lost for ideas.

1 Like

And another one that joins to this problem. The auto-saving feature of thunkable is horrible.

I have been working in an app for one month and after so much time I start to think that I cannot use thunkable. Why? because I can barely work in my “loading screen”. It has a lot of blocks and loading variables (but I don’t think that many). Still, I am currently wasting more time in waiting than in coding. I need to access this screen whenever I want to add something (just a minor change) and I need to wait minutes! Horrible. Probably I could optimize my code, but isn’t this an application that is “sold” as perfect for no-coding necessary. Do I need to be a professional? In any case, as I said, my code is not that long… or shouldn’t when translating it into machine-code.

Here are the problems that I encountered in one of my screens (only in the blocks section, the design section works fine):

• After performing any kind of operation (moving, creating something, chosing a variable, …) the screen takes 3 second to respond. Even when selecting somthing to type in. It reminds me of my old spectrum +128Kb!
  • Whenever I change to another screen or to the design screen, I get a “Thunkable is autosaving” sometimes for more than 10 minutes (my internet conection is not the best but it is good). And here comes the funniest: EVEN WHEN I DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE!!!
  • Sometimes, when the autosaving has apparently finished I lose some of my code. I realized that sometimes it is because I reopened the explorer and, for some stupid reason,Thunkable shows the old set up and not the latest (saved) one. Once that kept me redoing my code for an hour to find out that, after almost finishing writing the code again, it updated when I pressed another window and find out that my old code was there! and the newest one was ignored (luckily). Still, I wasted almost another hour, and also forget something important I wanted to change in the previous session.
  • Sometimes (like now), the autosaving is so nice that it gets mid-saved in this screen. Today I simply created some variables that I would need to use later. It was taking to long to save this screen (> 10 minutes) that I needed to leave so I simply closed everything (it would take me some seconds to redo that). After I came back home, I just found that I can change any variable (when clicking in the pop-up window) and see the old variables but they are not anywhere in the block screen!!!

I am sorry to be so straightforward but the auto-saving feature in Thunkable is horrible. What it frustates me the most is that I AM FORCED TO WAIT. Why isn’t there a “Saving” feature: I want to save when I want, not at every stupid second! yes, despite I know I could lose my work after a powercut or whatever, I want to choose when to save it! Furthermore, in the worst case, why isn’t there a light indicating that it is being saved? I keep testing to change to another screen to know when Thunkable has done saving it. In other words, I don’t know when it is saving and I don’t know when it has finished…

Is there any possibility to add a customized auto-saving feature with a bar indicating the progress?

Sorry for the bad English.

Perhaps something like AppGyvers “save” feature.

It will lead to user error due to forgetting to save but will improve network performance and decrease overall resource consumption