Saving a local DB?

Your solution sound fine , but exactly where do you keep this local data that you will update when online?
Is it, local DB or Variables or Can fire base keep data offline?
Here is where in need clarity,
Thanks

this is my approach when I want to save data primarily on a local device but have a backup just incase!

Please forgive my lack of comprehension, are you saying that I can save data on a google sheet locally on my device?

@general No. Rather that you have the most up-to-date data in a Google Sheet and any time the app is online, it downloads that data. Otherwise, it uses the local data source within the app.

Understood but to what does it dowload data to?

1. Variable?
  2. List
  3. Local db?
  4. Local CSV?
    Which of these do you think can handle a lot of data seamlessly?
1 Like

I can’t seem to find any answers on how to do this. I can send a csv but it exports in columns, not rows as it appears that is the only way to access the data…by columns. so when i get the data, it is difficult to deal with. For me, I can figure it out…but most of the people getting my data want it in a readable format right off the hop

I need that clarification too :wink:

This is a long topic. Can you state your actual question?

1 Like

how to save data offline in thunkable x

2 Likes

Save it to Local DB or to stored variable.

apparently its not possible to save data to the local DB

1 Like

i have a quiz app, almost 5000 records for primary level school. i am currently storing them in the local db. which works fine because i preload them during app design(copy paste). but during app run time any new data stored in the local db , is erased when the session is off, so if you restart the app the data is not there.
i was advised to use variable, but still trying to figure out how (local db is so convenient but with that shortcoming)
also i need to work offline, so airtable, google docs are not an option

Apparently your mistaken and assuming the old Local DB be the local storage is persistent.

your right, but what is mean is if during app design you enter data in the local db, once the user intalls the app, that data is intact. i have a fully fuctional quiz app in thunkable, with over 500 questions i had preloaded. but whenever i need to add new questions, i am forced to push an update, for the user to get the new questions. i had also wanted the user to be able to add their own custom questions

1 Like

You can always create an update screen where you connect to, for example, a Google sheet and copy what’s in it to the local DB. This way you avoid pushing updates.

1 Like