Places Search autocomplete

hello, it is possible to do an autocomplete, search for places with the google maps api
places-autocomplete-suggest
something like this

I haven’t used either but it sounds like you want the Place Autocomplete or Query Autocomplete from the Places API:

1 Like

exactly what I’m looking for but I don’t know how to implement

I am looking for the same. Is there a solution for this?

Hi, I need this too. Is anyone found a solution for this in new UI?

The new drag-and-drop interface shouldn’t be any different for accessing APIs. You just need to figure out how to use the Places API in Thunkable.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am new and not familiar with Places API, is there any tutorial that I can refer to? Thanks.

You might find my API tutorial helpful:

I’m just going to put it out there that it took me about ten hours of work to even start feeling comfortable with APIs and JSON. I think having a tutorial is a good head start but it can be pretty difficult stuff to get right.

1 Like

Thanks @tatiang
Was about there after some research yesterday. Your video is the best at explaining the use of API so far.

I think my problem is the design problem of how to present the list of responses under the text input and for the user to choose (click). Let me think about it.

On a side note, would like to ask:

1. The Web_API1: Is that mean we can only have 1 API in 1 app? Can we add API2?
  2. Am I correct that the more API we used in an app, the slower the app performance?
  3. In the “blocks” interface, can we “comment” (or temporary disable) some of the line to test a particular section of the blocks? (as we may have few hundreds of lines and sometime we just want to test if a particular section of the block caused the whole things went wrong)
  4. For Google Place API, the documentation mentioned that to use it without the map, we need to put somewhere that say “powered by Google” (as per the screenshot in original post). My question is where do we get the design? or we have do it our own?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m glad you found the video helpful!

1. No, you can add as many as you want. Keep in mind though that you can just use a single API component and dynamically change the URL with blocks each time you want to access a different API in your project instead of assigning that info when you create the API (I usually leave the pop-up dialog box blank).
  2. No. Some APIs by their nature are a little slow to respond sometimes but they don’t stack as far as affecting performance. You typically would only call one API at a time anyway.
  3. No, you can’t comment out blocks. But you can do a couple things that help with isolating a section of blocks: (a) put sections of blocks into functions and then add/remove just the function “call” blocks when needed; (b) add Wait blocks or Vibrate blocks to key areas of your block layout to either freeze the code temporarily or add a tangible signal that you’ve reached the spot in the code.
  4. I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about that. I’m guessing you just write that as text for attribution.
2 Likes

They provide the logos for your #4 question here:

1 Like

Great! Thanks @tatiang !

Hey there! Have you achieved this? Please let me know, I am looking to do this exact thing. Thanks