Null values returned by Google Distance matrix

No comments were made or intended for you. I am very grateful for your help and advice.

1 Like

Back on topic now :slight_smile:
Do we know why the google distance matrix fails in thunkable live test but appears to work on actual devices? Does thunkable submit requests using its own credentials in live test but use developers credentials when on the device? If so, can these be checked? I would like to understand how this works as I hate unanswered questions.

@actech Nothing to add here? Thatā€™s disappointing.

What can I add? You need to test projects on devices, and everything else will only give an approximate version of how it will look and work.

I was wondering about reporting the apparent issue. While it works on devices it should also work in thunkable live test. At least the issue, if confirmed, should be noted and advised to other users so they dont waste their time on it like i have.

Also, I am considering paying the $200 and going pro so I can publish thefinished product as a web app. Question. Will it work and how do I test it?

I just went pro and I can tell you the web publishing is a really nice feature, especially for rapid testing/iteration.

Iā€™m able to use APIs in a web app just fine.

1 Like

Hey @rwplummer1yf4f, :wave:

Not sure why this is happening, but a couple of things to check would be is youā€™re on the latest version of Thunkable Live and if you have the permissions enabled?

Aside from that, Iā€™d be interested to know if itā€™s affecting both iOS and Android, or just Android? (Iā€™ll try testing that today)

If you want, I can publish it for you for a day, you can test it out and make a decision based on that?

1 Like

Hi Dom,
Thanks for looking at this. To be absolutely clear here. Itā€™s the live test on the Thunkable web page that doesnā€™t appear to work. If I test it on Thunkable live on android or IOS it works ok. The message I get back using live test on the Thunkable page is detailed above but says https request are not supported. It looks like the message is returned to me without troubling the Google servers as there is no status message or error number returned. If I paste the URL details into a browser I get a good response from Google so I was wondering if the issue is within Thunkable.

I would be grateful if you could publish the app ā€œpostcodes2ā€ for a day to let me test it. If my customer is happy I am sure we can go pro.

Link to the current version is here.
Link removed as API keys were being copied

Updated link

Link removed as API keys were being copied

When I change the initial location to my hometown (Kalamazoo Michigan), the entire app goes white while using the companion app on my iPhone.

Any word on publishing the app for now so I can see if it works as a web app?

So, after wrestling with the google distance matrix for weeks and it not working in the live preview in Thunkable, I went to distancematrixapi.com. Their query string is formatted exactly like the one Google require so you just need to change the first part of the URL and the key supplied by distancematrixapi.com and it all works. To Thunkable Staff, this still seems like an issue with the development environment to me and what has happened to the promise to publish my app as a web app for a day to test if it works? Very disappointed with the support guys!

Tagging @domhnallohanlon in case he didnā€™t have notifications turned on.