Help with Stack Navigator

I’m trying to recreate the issue. What I’m seeing doesn’t seem to match with what you’re saying. Basically in my testing it seems like everything works as expected when the DV is inside of a navigator. It retains the scroll position and does not force a refresh.

When the DV isn’t on a screen inside of a navigator there is some interesting behavior which has to do with how we handle screen navigation. Outside of a navigator, if you navigate to a screen it is pushed on top of the current screen. So, the original screen still exists but is beneath the screen you are currently on. When you navigate to the original screen, rather than going back to the existing one, it creates a new version that is pushed to the top.

I tried recording a short video to demonstrate this but there is a limit to the file size of uploads on our community. Let me know if you don’t quite understand and I’ll upload it to demonstrate further. The solution for this is to use a navigator. If you use a stack navigator, use the included header and back button to go back to the screen rather than create a new one. If you’re using a tab navigator it should work as expected. Does that make sense?

If you don’t see the same behavior as me, can you please make sure your Thunkable Live app is updated to the latest version? Or if you’re downloading your app, can you rebuild it and try again?

In either case, if your main claim is that the scroll position was not previously reset when neither screen was inside of a navigator that seems like an issue. Do you have any idea as to how long ago this changed? I’ll have to try and narrow down the cause of it.

Hi @Steven,

Many thanks for your response. The latest version I have published in the stores (Google and iOS) is dated January 5th, 2021 - this doesn’t have any of the issues I listed above.

Instead, in the version I want to update I am still facing these issues - I am using Thunkable Live v. 25801 and I tried to download and install (Android) again the updated version of my app but it still doesn’t work.

My main issues are:

1. the scroll position is reset when:
    a) a screen with DV is inside the bottom tab navigator
    b) the other screen is either outside or inside the bottom tab navigator
  2. when going to a screen (outside a bottom tab navigator) from a screen inside the bottom tab navigator, I can see a glitch in the status bar (it becomes dark grey for 1 second)
  3. when returning from a screen (outside a bottom tab navigator) to a screen inside the bottom tab navigator (which includes a DV) the transaction is really slower than before (and the scroll position is reset - see point 1. - Perhaps this is indeed related to point 1., considering that the go back to previous screen seems to trigger the “reload listviewer” which may be the cause of the issue for slowness)

I will message you a copy of my project privately - hope this helps!

@Steven, maybe the issues are related to the fact that I worked for a while on the staging platform?

Updates:

1. @Steven I have tried to duplicate my project and tried if it worked in that way - however, I am still facing those issues. Hence, you should be able to reproduce them through the link of my project I sent you privately. Please let me know. Thanks!

2. Regarding when I have noticed the issue for the first time, as far as I recall, it was on the meantime you implemented the UI design.

Question: @Steven actually I think that the issues could be related to the fact that it seems all screens are loaded twice - is it something possible?

Gents, why dont we set up a 30 minute troubleshooting session on Skype or whichever other platform to check the issues in real time? I don’t think that ping-pong messages help in such cases. I am located in Europe (timezone-wise).

2 Likes

Hi @Steven, do you have any news about this? I would appreciate your confirmation that this is a top priority. Thanks!

1 Like

Update: Hi @Steven, I have also tried to replicate those issues in an empty project in which I have included:

1. Bottom tab navigator
  2. No. 1 screen outside the bottom tab navigator
    Please find the project copy link here: Thunkable

Procedure to replicate the issues:
a) In the DV appearing on the screen click on the item ee-26 (you will navigate to the screen outside the bottom tab navigator)
b) 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝘂𝘀 𝗯𝗮𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝟭 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗱 and then white (I have set the status bar color to white)
c) Click on the “Back” button and you will navigate to the previous screen (the one which includes the DV)
d) 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗗𝗩 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 (starting from the first item of the list)

I think with this project I replicated the simplest way to reproduce the issues - hope this helps! We now need only the solution as soon as possible.

As already said, I can’t publish an update of my app due to these issues.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Steven,

It has been now more than 1 week you sent your latest message on these issues. I feel like I am talking alone.

I have also sent a message yesterday to @jane asking for any updates and got no reply. I am mentioning here also @domhnallohanlon which can maybe help us to put the dots together.

It’s now more than 3 weeks that I first reported these issues. I have also been asked to publish a post in GitHub, and I did it.

Any of your feedback guys would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like