Fuzzy Search Feature for "Covers" Digital Bookshelf App

How would I make a fuzzy search feature? I know how to lowercase an input, but I’d like the user to search for by Genre, Author, Book or Location. A genre search brings up all books in that specific genre, author = specific author, book = specific book, location = books in that area of the house. I will send a project link below just so you know what I mean.

This is the app I’m making, please refer to it If you haven’t already: "Covers" digital bookshelf app

Link: Thunkable

you might try googling for ‘soundex’ algorithm to see if it works for you.

1 Like

I don’t know how to recreate that in Thunkable. Right now, I’m focusing on a 4-topic search.

What is a “fuzzy” search? Does that just mean that any combination of search terms should show results – like a filter?

A “fuzzy search” usually refers to a search system where the user can input a result like “watH is da Name of the no cod app developMent program” when the items in the database is “what is the name of the no code app development program”. In this case, though, I want the user to be able to search for either genre, author, location or name but on the same input.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds really hard to program. I would think it would be easier to use an API that handles such searches.

Can you recommend one?

I don’t know of any, sorry.

1 Like

maybe someone can transcribe the algorithm here to thunkable. it’s supposed to be 2.7% better than soundex…

Algolia is a great search engine. Easy to interact with. Just finished building part of an internal tool with it.

Xano has a built in fuzzy search, not nearly as nice as algolia.

You could also use a js library and a webviewer element to do this.

In short, you really shouldn’t build this feature yourself unless it’s an assignment from school.

Use a tool that already exists! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I’m really bad at integrating pre-made solutions into my apps. Haha

I guarantee you’ll find it harder to create this feature yourself.

It’s an api call and a list/layout/dataviewer to see the data

Use the onchange event for your input element

It’s dope and I can’t believe there’s not a sample here.

Come to think of it! Hmmm :face_with_monocle:

you may want to try this implementation i made:

1 Like

I’ll try this too.

i woudl highly consider the algolia route. js. it’s dope. fairly inexpensive and has a generous free tier when used appropriately.

and the blocks can be as simple as this

with a design as simple as this

Honestly, I would, but I don’t want to pay anything. I’ll look it up though, see what I can do.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.