Fun Share: draw a Circle on the map

Hey Thunkers!

A question came up recently “Where did the Map ‘draw circle’ block go?”. Now, while I don’t have a timeline for when we’ll get a circle block, this project will display circles upwards of 500 Km or greater with a pretty good look still.
This project will take a location in lat/long, a radius in km or miles (a function to convert Mi to Km is included).

Check it out! you could pair this with a haversine formula to draw a circle on a map and include only POI’s that fall within the circle for a clean UI!
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/621ce2f3819ba7026ee6e069

Check out screen two to learn how to implement a ready to use Haversine Formula to fid points of interest on a globe close to you

2 Likes

This sounds great! It’s not drawing anything for me when I tap the button in Thunkable Live on my iPhone and allow location services. It finds me but is zoomed out and there’s no circle/polygon on the map.

2 Likes

If you would’ve looked at kalamazoo mi :man_facepalming:… you’d have seen the circle.

I’ve updated the blocks! Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha! I just noticed these hard-coded values:

I’ll have to come visit so I can see the circle. :wink:

Also maybe not:

1 Like

oh it’s there… it’s there.

Hey, I see a circle now! Thanks, @jared.

1 Like

You can get a nice effect with the fill color set to something like transparent red: rgba(255,0,0,0.1)

2 Likes