Device Identification / MAC Address

I found some discussion of this in much older topics, but is there a feature/function/method with the current Thunkable engine to retrieve a current device ID? MAC Address? Something unique and consistent per device.

I’m not looking for a way to CREATE a unique ID. I can do that. I’m looking for a way to identify the same device no matter how often an app is installed/deleted/reinstalled.

Hey @knownkeep,

Not that I can think of unfortunately. Can you tell us a bit more about the app you’re building?

What would the lack of this function mean for your app?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m building a number of apps. The need is simple. Let me explain.

Having a MAC Address, because it’s unique per device, you (programmer) can auto-save certain settings WITHOUT needing someone to register.

And by auto-save, I mean you could store settings to something like an AirTable without needing the user to register. Just save a record with the MAC Address and settings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

If user deletes app and reinstalls it. You (programmer) could look up device ID in AirTable and prompt user as to whether they would like to restore settings. I would never recommend doing this with any kind of sensitive data, but it would be good for other data.

People get tired of the registration process for everything just to use an app. You could also do stuff like “remember” preferences, and if a user uses multiple apps you design, those preferences would automatically get used in your other apps. Stuff like that.

2 Likes