A way to parse this rather strange api

So… yes to the structure. That’s exactly right. But JSON is not necessary with Firebase (it can be used).

You simply use the “Set Cloud variable ‘name’ block” and enter the path to the value as the name of the variable. I can provide a screenshot of blocks later if it’s helpful but you might do something like group name/Variable to get the value in 1. A. above. If you had unique names (which you’ll want to use), you might have this:

1. Mazda
    A. Miata: 14

Maybe the 14 represents the number of Miatas that have been retrieved from the JSON response. Not a great example, I know, but bear with me.

Your Cloud variable would be named [bucket name]/Mazda/Miata. There’s no need for the realtime DB blocks. You just use variable blocks and that’s it.

1 Like

A few topics related to this:

1 Like

basically, I’m making an app for people who come to my auto garage.

the user data on fire base would be:
username
password
uuid
vin# (so we can order the proper parts using the vin, which removes a-lot of headache)
a log of the stuff that we’ve done to the car (were currently using google sheets, but i HATE it)

now I’m just trying to figure out how exactly i can discern between people logging in, so when people input THEIR vin, it doesn’t change the same single cloud-variable on the database

i remember there being an option in firebase to “collect user data” but i never figured it out all the way. which is what I’m currently digging around attempting to find again, lol

I’m right now working on a photo journal app where users can sign up, sign in, and then store and retrieve photos with timestamps and captions that they’ve generated. So I’m no expert yet but I do have it working. And there are many topics on this in the forums. I’ve been Googling firebase sign in thunkable to find info.

what I’m thinking is either using the database like so:

1. user A
    a) info a
    b) info c
    c) info c
  2. user B
    a) info a
    b) info c
    c) info c
  3. user C
    a) info a
    b) info c
    c) info c

but i have no idea how i could set that up to be automated…

Check out the first of the three links I posted above. It has a similar structure and might give you an idea how to get started.

thanks, man, i actually just got dun making a login screen that calculates if the vin is valid, took me a whole day to get the calculation, lol

i have the thunkable parts all well and good,

1 Like

That looks insane. Does the API return an error if the VIN is invalid? That would certainly simplify things.

I’d does, but I had built that out before I got this api working… And it’s simpler to just leave it…

i wonder if you will find this VIN check digit calculator useful. Apparently, the 9th digit of the VIN is the check digit and it is based on the values of all the other characters in the VIN . see below:

i’ve coded the algorithm in thunkable and this app below (using new drag and drop interface) shows how it is used: you supply a VIN and it will return the VIN with the correct check digit in the 9th position.