List View update

I think what you see is the effect of previous searches. So if you start by clearing the previous results then you will see the difference.

See this

That’s how it works, great
In the meantime I have changed something else

Three problems remain

1. If the object is not assigned to any team, and therefore finds “-” in the corresponding column, upon selection it updates the column corresponding to the selected Team and updates the list, if instead it finds a different Team, the alert opens with the request to confirm the modification or not to modify anything, if I click on “Yes, modify” it does not update the cell in the corresponding column, but updates the “List_Employee_Select”

2. if I insert the “SerchString” variable that has been populated by the “Item” of the ListView, a white cell appears in the “List_Employee_Select”, leaving the “Item” working

3. if the “-” is present in the “Selected” column, it works, if I leave it empty it doesn’t work, obviously also by changing the parameters in the search variables

Thanks for your help

1 Like

I’m not in front the computer now but will look into it later.

1 Like

Hello @dimaurosalvo19717s1y ,
I just checked the project you shared earlier and the blocks you are describing above are not present. Can you share the project again?

I thought that with the same link you could resume the updated project

here is the link
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/d45e373b5394e90227bb179cf8574458
thank you

1 Like

Thank you.

There are two types of links

1- The one which has /copy/ gives a snapshot in that time.
2- The one which has /projects/ or /projectPage/ can give you the updated project every time you click on it.

1 Like

Let me try to explain something that is not easy to grasp with linear programming languages.

Thunkable is color coding the blocks to make it easier to identify and most of the purple ones as asynchronous which means they will not hold the execution of the blocks coming after them but rather will do take the commands and give control to the next block while they do whatever is required from them to do.

Now let me be specific about your code.
You have this block
Which you would think it should wait for your response to confirm if you want to update the value or not and it is actually doing that.

However, before showing you the Alert message, remember this block is purple, it will give control to the next available block to execute while waiting for you to select an option.
By the time you have selected an option, this block has executed already.

Therefore, the update to the Google sheet will fail.

Hope this clarifies why this option never get executed correctly.

1 Like

You opened a world to me … Thanks
you were very clear,
I think I solved it by moving the function by placing it inside the blocks I run, I did some tests, I believe that by doing so everything works perfectly.

the only “problem” that remains is that if I leave the cell in the Team column empty, it seems unable to retrieve the “empty” data

1 Like

I will look into this tomorrow. It’s after midnight where I live.

I need more details from you. What do you mean unable to retrieve empty data?

Do you mean when you use get value block you don’t get a result?

Basically when the cells are empty, without any sign, it freezes without moving forward, as per the attached video

Cells Empty

Another “Problem”, when I insert an object already belonging to a Team, the Team changes correctly with the new one after accepting the change, at the second request to insert the same object, it is as if the variable was not updated, proposing the initial Team again , although on google sheet it has already been updated, see the attached video

Double

1 Like

I will need to check the first issue and let you know later.

As for the second issue, this is an old BUG (@jared, let me know if it falls into other categories ) in Thunkable. If you use get value then it will only get the value the first time you issue the command all subsequent requests will take the value from cache instead of the true value in the Google sheet.

It’s not a ‘bug’ as much as it is poor UX. It’s not broken, it just doesn’t do what most of us expect it to or doesn’t behave fully the way most of us expect it to, it would seem. Ideally we would be able to toggle between using cached data or requesting fresh data.

Do you know if a feature request or bug report has been created in relation to this, by chance? Does this affect all data sources or only google sheets?

1 Like

No, I don’t. I rarely scan through the bug list.

1 Like

The workaround for your second issue is to use the ger row block instead of get value. You will get the updated value with the get row block.

2 Likes

I’ll make sure to raise this with a support ticket today. It is poor UX to only grab data once, ideally it only caches the data until the next data grab. This could help mask connectivity issues but makes getting fresh data (currently) a pain in the but.

We want it to be easier to use, not harder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It works, great

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.