Help with air quality API

@actech Totally valid point. I just assumed that a correct JSON request would retrieve the expected values. I suppose that’s a bad assumption!

@jared Oh… good point. Nope, hadn’t realized that was best practice. I did get a 200 status in testing but to wait for it… I’m going to try that.

No, I’m afraid you misunderstood me. I’m talking about the reliability and stability of any program code (blocks). Unlike programmers, ordinary users consider only the simplicity of creating applications important and do not pay attention to other important points. But experienced users should understand that the apparent ease of creating mobile apps is not the only and not the most important criterion.

At first glance, it may seem that I am talking on the forum about some particular solutions and offer a solution for specific tasks, but this is not the case. I try to see the big picture and give recommendations that can be used to solve different problems, although this may not be of interest to most users who only want to see the solution to their specific problem.

1 Like

You got it right. The problem is that users are used to thinking that they always do everything correctly and all data must always be correct and correct. Because of this, users create applications and program based on their own unsubstantiated speculation, rather than knowledge. Imagine what happens if the developer of a program for controlling an airplane or train creates a program based on their assumptions? This will cause the program to fail and many people may die. Programming is not about treating people, where a mistake will be very costly for the patient and the doctor. However, any programming should be described on the basis of knowledge and be protected as much as possible from any erroneous situations.

You must clearly understand that there are errors in any program. This may include system bugs, server errors, incorrect data from users, errors in your blocks, and much more. So you need to take very seriously the handling of errors and protect against them.

You can say that you are not going to develop applications that crash can have serious consequences for people and businesses. But I think no one would want the surrounding electronic devices to work with errors and pose a danger to work with them.

I’ve had a LOT more success since I upgraded to Pro and can publish as a web app. I went from countless frustrated hours to being able to easily and quickly preview my app and even share it with others.

In case anyone’s interested, here’s what I’m working on. It pulls air quality (AQI) data from PurpleAir.com’s API and converts it using an EPA formula for woodsmoke particles. Then it grabs the temperature and a “live” weather icon from OpenWeatherMap’s API. You can’t search for a location – haven’t figured that out and it seems really hard – but it has four locations near me (home/work/etc.). My colleagues are really enjoying it during this worrisome time of Northern California wildfires.