[Solved] Is there some reason why my blocks might start to lag?

Hello,

I just designed the interface. Then I pass to block code. But I realized that it is too slow. I get block in, Thunkable is being stopped for twenty second. It is exactly impossible to build an app. Please help. Why thunkable x block side are too slow to build block code?

When there is less component in desing side, it is fast. But many component of design makes block side very slow.

1 Like

I noticed this, too. I think it’s a trade-off between a desktop application which would be much faster and an online tool which is slower. It forces me to be more efficient in my coding. To ask myself: where can I combine blocks, use functions, etc. to make cleaner code?

1 Like

i am having a simlar issue now

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience @jared - while it’s not a solution, per se, there are a few temporary tips here to help your trim down your app.

Essentially, if you spot any patterns or repetition in your blocks then they’re prime candidates for a spot of refactoring.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out directly if you have any questions.

Hoping to have faster version of our blocks editor available in the not-too-distant future!

@User81 @actech @AcrobatEpee @awuser @funhall @samclever @Deluxe @Ionut_Ilie @ANAND_VELANDY @kyle_Williams @Urban @CBVG @kartik14 @BlueWhaleYT @Extremus_Data_Protec @pgbowers @eoinparkinson @Ygor_Bittencourt @maxb @Daniel_Coglitore @48d7b0bab98fa9cfafb8 @Boban_Stojmenovic @friskyapple @junjoseph @bhandarkaracademy @Hayder @MartinP @Carlos_Escobar @prasaddhandayal19723 @bymaho @tatiang @sheelaprasad9451rhkt @james_olarve @Abdelrahman1 @Imran_Pinjara @danyklein @sysads @11131 @Nico_Marikucza @peacehero @jared

The latest release of Thunkable X has an update that should dramatically improve blocks performance.

To ensure you are on the latest version, please hard refresh your browser.

It would be great if you could test with some of your larger projects and give us some feedback on your initial experience.

We did quite a bit of internal testing, but as you can image there are a huge number of possible block combinations so if you spot something - get in touch.

Also, if you like the update, feel free to let us know too! :joy:

8 Likes

I just tested it out! It seems to be working considerably bettter. I had quite a bit of lag at 1000 blocks. I now only see that lag during a test with 4000 blocks on 1 screen

1 Like

:star_struck:

You’re doing some heavy lifting!

It does seem peppier to me. I only have about 500 blocks in one screen to test but dragging the page around was much smoother and faster than before.

1 Like

Does that fix the problem with the screen errors in TestFlight that worked fine before publishing. I just wrote you a mail about.

woah ! the speed is great!

this is sow far I have found

i’t happens when i’m the block session and change between screens , I simple refresh and is all good

1 Like

Hi @domhnallohanlon

I have a 899 blocks screen, and the speed has increased a lot, indeed! However I am experiencing the same issue @Daniel_Coglitore reported: when I alter anything on the blocks, navigator screen crashes. It is probably when thunkable tries to save. Also, when I try to live-test my app, it also crashes cause of some problem when trying to connect to Firebase through listening.

I believe these bugs are natural for a very recent version, and hope it could be easily solved. Congrats! Block dragging lag was really really annoying.

5 Likes

i Am experiencing similar issues. Lots of moving blocks turning into a white screen that forces me to refresh

1 Like

1200 blocks-I see a significant increase in the performance of the block editor. Blocks of global variables now do not cause freezing in the block editor as before, when in a large project, even one global variable block caused the block editor to freeze for a few seconds.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to increase the number of blocks to 4000, because after another copy of the function with 700 blocks, a white screen appeared in the block editor. I will see what this is related to.

2 Likes

Even though it’s faster, I’m hoping the block refreshing can be improved. Things shouldn’t disappear when you’re dragging them:

ezgif-3-09ceba922ac4

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Changing properties of clones

Great job! Between 600-1000 blocks it works better than anytime before.

3 Likes

I also run into this white screen issue a lot after the update… seems to be kind of the same problem users have with not being able to save their latest changes properly… only thing that helped so far is to wait a second or two after each block movement :grimacing:

4 Likes

I also hope this can finally be addressed - I have had this issue for months :grimacing:

But the latest changes are gone :thinking:

1 Like

Yes! have to avoid that crash :laughing: , but I definitly rather to wait 5 segs after finishing changing all the blocks or moving aside a block I dont need to delete it later than wait 5 segs per move as It was before , very frustrating. without this lag thunkable feels totally different

2 Likes