TipTrainer: Your Tip Giving Tutor (iOS & Android)

Quick Links

Background

Tired of pulling out your phone every time you need to tip?

Me too! I searched high and low for an app that would help me practice calculating tips, and I could not find one. That’s why I created TipTrainer!

3 Great Features:

#1 - Calculate

Helps you quickly calculate a tip based on a percentage and easily adjust the tip percentage amount.

#2 - Practice

Gives unlimited opportunities to practice different tip percentages from randomly generated dollar amounts.

#3 - Learn

Teaches you the simplest methods to calculate the most common tip amounts WITHOUT a calculator.

Thanks

I want to thank the Thunkable Team for their awesome work creating Thunkable Cross-Platform. It is super-duper cool that a guy like myself is able to create a complete app for both iOS and Android. I’m also thankful for the Thunkable documentation and this great Thunkable Community!

I came up with 90% of the app on my own, but the design was highly influenced by this design demo.

Links

iOS App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiptrainer/id1456476381

Google Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amblemind.tiptrainer

Demo

Happy Coding!

Darren
Thunkable X Tutorials

6 Likes

How does your app solve this problem that people have?

@Dean_Artis

The Learn section teaches you mental math strategies so that you can calculate the percentages in your head instead of using a calculator.

The Practice section makes it easy to practice doing these calculations in your head.

The goal of both of these is to build the user’s confidence so that they can calculate a certain tip percentage without pulling out their calculator.

2 Likes

Egg and my face are in perfect alignment.

2 Likes

Just to let you know - there is a quite big problem with the keyboard (I guess that might be caused by Thunkable system and not your blocks): if you have an alternative keyboard like Giphy installed and try to enter the value of the receipt, the iPhone will automatically switch to this keyboard without the possibility to switch to another one - this way you cannot enter a value at all except if you remove the additional keyboard from the settings:

iOS 12.2, iPhone X

also there is a bug in your blocks: when users have set another language than English for their keyboard - e.g. German, they might have a semicolon shown in the numbers pad instead of a dot and your app does not realize the values in the practice are true then since it seems to just recognize it in this format: 0.56 (not 0,56).

best, Chris

Thanks for the feedback!

1. I’m not sure how to handle the alternate keyboard.
  2. And yes, the app currently does not support current foreign currencies. I decided to table that feature and move forward with the Minimum Viable Product. But it is in my backlog of updates.
1 Like