[Solved] Thunkable Live will not open any of my Thunkable apps

Using iOS (multiple versions on multiple devices), none of my apps will load in Thunkable Live. I can see the list of apps and you can see the visual feedback when you tap the app’s name, but it won’t actually load the app. Been this way for about an hour now… anyone else having this issue or is just me?

EDIT And the app is working again now, right after I submitted this, of course.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Kyle_Williams, and apologies for any inconvenience.

Did you do anything in the meantime, like restarting your phone or refreshing your browser that might be beneficial for other community members to know?

1 Like

Hi @domhnallohanlon,

I tried both of those (as well as reinstalling the application) but nothing seemed to work. It just randomly started working again after I posted this message. Reinstalling the application was the last action I took before it started working again but there was 15 minutes or so between the reinstall and the app working.

1 Like

Crashing too. I already reinstalled.

1 Like

I’m having the issue with it not loading apps again today. Definitely something going on.

1 Like

Apologies for the inconvenience Kyle, we’re looking into it.

Was this affecting you on iOS or Android?

1 Like

Only on iOS. And I found two solutions for when this happens.

1. Clicking the “Live Test” button in Thunkable will force my app to launch within Thunkable Live.
  2. Running it on an Android device will also force the same app to open in iOS if Thunkable Live is open and running on the iOS device.
1 Like

This sounds reasonable to me - this is how live testing is designed to work.

Does this mean your question is solved??

1 Like

Yes, and I have marked it as such, although I would personally consider it a bug with a workaround, since the Thunkable Live app is still not functioning as intended at times.

1 Like

I must be missing something super obvious here - the intended way to use live testing is:

1. Click “Live Test” in x.thunkable.com
  2. Open the live testing app on your phone.

This is exactly what you’re doing , right?

1 Like

Until the last week or two, I’ve never really had to use the “Live Test” button within the Thunkable website, as just tapping on the app name inside of Thunkable Live would open the app. Since I’ve been using Thunkable that way for a long time, that was the way I expected it to work. Now when I tap on an item in Thunkable Live, it just dims the icon slightly as I tap it, and does not open the app. It may not be the intended way of using live testing, but the arrows next to the list of apps certainly imply that you can launch an app that way, and I have used that method when demonstrating apps for clients and friends (because I don’t always have my laptop handy).

Here is a video showing the “tap” feedback. You can see the icon flashing on “AR Fit Bubble Integrated” when I tap on it, but it does not launch the app. Tapping the app name or icon in Android does launch it, and causes the iOS version to launch it as well, so there is definitely some sort of issue there.

Not a major issue, mind you, but maybe something to look at since the app formerly worked that way, and the arrows next to the app names imply they are tappable.

1 Like

Aha, I get you now, this is “Live Preview” as opposed to live test.

You can actually use this feature to demo your projects without being logged into Thunkable at all. You essentially have a portfolio on your phone at all times without the need for a laptop.

See more:
https://docs.thunkable.com/live-test#live-test

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realize there was a distinction between the two. Well, Live Preview has stopped working on iOS for me, meaning I have to have my laptop with me to actually open any of the apps, or I can ‘kick-start’ it from an Android device (but I also use an emulator for that so laptop needed either way).

2 Likes

Hey there!

I believe we fixed the problem. Can you try again?

Thanks,
Wei

1 Like

Yes! It’s working now. I’m able to launch the apps directly from my phone, just as it worked before.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have a similar issue as well. I have reinstalled Thunkable live on 3 occasions now. It only works when I click on the live test on my computer. That means if I do not have the computer with me, I am unable to open the app.

Hi @evelyn,

Sorry to hear that live preview isn’t working as expected for you.

There was an update last week to resolve this, but I’m assuming this happened to you today?

Can you let us know if you are trying to live preview on iOS or Android?

Thanks!

Super! It is working now.

1 Like

I am able to open all of my previous apps (created before the 5/16 switchover) but the one I’m working on today is not opening, it does not show any code or any information at all, not even the background color, though I can see the name of the new app in the list and click on it. On Android. Does not appear to be working on iOS either based on a friend’s testing.

2 Likes

Hi @Charlotte_Dungan,

Welcome to the Thunkable community, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your current app.

Can you PM me your project link and I’ll take a look.

Thanks!