Quiz App - Fun With Flags

Introduction:

The Fun with Flags sample app is designed to give us a basic introduction to functions, parallel lists, string matching, APIs and incrementers in Thunkable X.

Design

The UI consists of:

• A row for the scoreboard at the top of the screen
  • A column in the middle of the page for the quiz question
  • A row at the bottom of the screen for user input

Creating Lists

In this app we will need four variables:

• listOfCountries
  • listOfFlags
  • currentScore
  • randomIndex

When Screen1 starts we’ll add data to our lists like this:

The purple showRandomFlag function is described in the next section:

APIs & Functions

One of the easiest APIs that you can use is provided by countryflags.io. You simply tell it the country code, size and style of flag that you want and it returns a .png image that you can use in your app.

Incrementers & Functions

If the user gets an answer correct we can update the currentScore variable by one point and then display the value to them like this:

String Matching

With everything else completed it’s now very easy to check how well the user knows their country flags.

Remix

Don’t see your country flag here? Want to add in some extra features? Then please remix this app, I’d love to see how you expand on this basic design.

18 Likes

I think I’m not the unique fan from TBBT here :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Nice work…we need tutorial about new thunkable X components …thanks a lot!
It’s a good present for beginner like me. :wave::wave:

1 Like

Glad to hear you like it @Goldking. If there’s a specific component you’d like to see a tutorial on the let me know as we’ll be working on these now for the next few weeks.

2 Likes

than you , but for now my big problem is short time :rofl: can you make a tutorial to extend day time?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :sweat_smile: i’m very curious to start using thunkable X …
:wave::wave: have a nice day

I will be thankful if you make a simple multiple quiz app with three choices.
I need to figure out the blocks of lists in multiple choice quiz app.
My regards!
_

Believe it or not @Hayder it’s on my To-do list, thanks for the suggestion though!

1 Like

Hello thunkers
here is my try to make multi choice quiz
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/f9a93c3866a39ab8309caaa24ebc8430
give me your opinion

I am looking for tutorials that utilise the local storage. to store lists of lists and then let you find items that have been stored, edit them and delete them I would like the lists to be displayed in a second screen. Your videos and tutorials are helpful but I have been struggling with this concept for some time.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Tina, we’re working on a new set of tutorials at the moment actually, I’ll add this to the list!

How can i set the flag list? i cant find the set list function

Hi @edymattar61g! Welcome!! :wave:

By the set list function do you mean that you are trying to create a list:

Hello
I want to create a list that contains pictures for the dice app, if you can help me it would be great!

Can you share a screenshot of what you’ve tried so far and we can advise you from there.

It’s all good i figured it out
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Is Great Britain a country :thinking:

Thanks for introducing with another API ! :smile:

Hi, @eoinparkinson :wave:
Have a look :

Great Britain

Great Britain is an island that consists of three somewhat autonomous regions that include England, Scotland and Wales. It is located east of Ireland and northwest of France in the Atlantic Ocean. The term Great Britain is often used as a synonym of the United Kingdom, though the two are different.

The United Kingdom

The United Kingdom (commonly abbreviated UK) is a country that includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Its official name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. While England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are called countries, there exist regulations and policies in those states that are determined by the UK. The capital city of the United Kingdom is London.

England

England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. England is the largest and most populous nation in the UK. It is bounded by Wales and the Irish Sea to the west and Scotland to the north. The English Channel, the Strait of Dover, and the North Sea separate it from Europe to the east. The Isle of Wight, off the southern mainland in the English Channel, and the Scilly Islands, in the Atlantic Ocean off the southwestern tip of the mainland, are considered part of England.

Hope it clears your confusion! :wink:

1 Like

oh I never knew. thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I do not know why is it not working!!!