POSTING TEMPLATE / MARKETPLACE for Extensions

Hey Thunkers,

I am using Thunkable for view weeks now and I experienced that a main problem with extensions is that you find them all at different places and even tough I am a fan of posting extensions including describtion, tutorial and samples to the Thunkable Community, I really think it is difficult to find/get the latest version of an .aix file and even after you downloaded or installed it you don’t really know which version it is… Also there is barely any uniformity on how extensions / updates are shared…

Also even if you paid for an extension it would be annoying/difficult for the developer to send a new version to everyonell who’s purchased it so far…

Possible solution

That lead me to an idea... What about a thunkable marketplace for extensions? It would be awesome to have a website where you can find all the different (free/pay what you want/paid) extensions in one place. And if you download/buy an extension you enter your email adress and receive a message once a newer version is available...

Guidelines / maintained Extension category

An alternative (even tough this does not solve the bought/update issue) would be to maintain a clean and consistent way how Extensions are shared here in the thunkable community... Because often you'd have to scroll through tons of feedback/questions/other messages just to find and check where the latest .aix is located... Some extension developers already to a quite good job by updating their first post to link to the different versions but unfortunately this is a small minority and it is also not consistent... A template and guidelines from thunkable might be really helpful! Maybe also 2 differen subcategories like

1) [EXTENSION] Example1

only Extensions are posted and only the developer will be able to edit his post / add updates... consistent posting maintained by moderators and posting guidelines

2) [EXT-SUPPORT] Example1

here users can ask questions, ask for and give support,...

Extension naming

Also wouldn’t it be possible to change the extension name to something like
com.extensiondev.vers3.extension.aix once it is updated? I at least saw this one time here and I thought wow really nice to know which is the latest I’ve downloaded…

What I also think should ALWAYS be done: enter the version in the description of the extension (thanks to @Taifun and NMD Apps for showing how it is done nicely :slight_smile: ) :

I know this is a lot of text but I think we should/could really improve things here and set thunkable apart from the other App Inventor platforms…

3 Likes