Parallel lists and grades

Hi I am learning to use parallel lists, but I can not do something. I need to show the grade of a student when a subject is selected. But I do not know how to program it so that it detects what subject and student was selected so that the grade shows up and I also need to show the average of the three grades when the user clicks the average button.

ThanksACTIVI COMPU

This sort of data structure really cries out for a spreadsheet. I would think that would save you from a lot of headaches later on, trying to use lists to create what should really be either a local database or in AirTable (my preference).

I’m not sure how your user is selecting a student or a subject because you haven’t shown that but let’s say the student is already selected (list item #1) and the user clicks on a List View item to set the subject…

Assuming that Edna’s Math score is a 91 in your screenshot above, you would retrieve her grade as follows:

(Project: https://x.thunkable.com/copy/935d89705b7339d87d44b9e5dfd28624)

And honestly, though I could help you with the average grade function, I think I’ll wait to hear back from you because it’s just sooooo much easier with a spreadsheet. You can have the spreadsheet calculate the averages and then just retrieve the cell value when you need it.

But if you’re feeling brave and want to take this project on with a bunch of lists, well, I’ll see what I can do. :smile:

1 Like