Making a Search Bar

Hi,

What if i want to search from a spreadsheet. Can you kindly show some tutorials?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi there,

Try checking out this tutorial from Domhnall on searching and filtering a LocalDB:

1 Like

This does not work as of May 2019

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Search & Filter LocalDB

Hi there, thanks for the heads up!

When this app was first made, a ‘null’ variable could be treated like an empty list. This isn’t the case any more. Have fixed the app by changing the initial setting of the lists to the empty list.

2 Likes

what will i use to store the data

1 Like

We were talking about this in a Customer Success chat, but you could use the Search Bar to choose a column from a Spreadsheet and display that column’s contents in another List Viewer. For these blocks, you just need to have a list of the column names from your spreadsheet stored as a list (using the defineEntireList function in this tutorial).

1 Like

Very slow at searching in list

3 Likes

Maybe your phone memory?

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be. I have a Samsung S8.

The issue may lie though in the fact I am loading a list of about 200-300 options from firebase. I locally save it after gathering it but it’s still very very very slow. Works none the less.

1 Like

This is surprising. Somehow I did a local search on 20 thousand lines and it worked very quickly. It is necessary to watch the search algorithm.

2 Likes

My list is roughly 300 items, these items have spaces in them and its from firebase db. heres how it looks in firebase:

" item1, item 2, this is another item, etc"

Does the spaces before the item and in the middle of the item affect it in any way, or is it the fact it is loading from firebase.

Also would like to point out it glitches sometimes, i made a false search piece of code to stop users calling a search with no data in the input box, and by removing this and adding it back (its a function block) then it fixes the search bug.

Does the extended list viewer include a built in list search do you know?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi there,

Could you message me with a Share link to your project so I can check this out?

Thanks,
Jane

1 Like

certainly

2 Likes

The scrFinder page gives an example of a search. Does it work fast for you or is it very slow too?

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5cd84f23e3097f3353fdad45/project/properties/designer/

3 Likes

How can I control that the timer does not trigger the filter function while I’m still writing?
maybe setting another timer to control when the letters change and just fire the other timer if 1 second has passed without writing something.

some idea, because I have tried and I do not see how.

1 Like

Isn’t the idea that the system keeps proposing more refined selections as you type?

in my case it does not work as I wish. example: if I’m writing jose and I’ve only written jos, start the filtering function and only filter by jos and not by jose. I have then to erase the e and put it back on, so I can filter by the word jose

1 Like

Not sure I understand your dilemma.
Surely, when you have written ‘jos’, the algorithm would suggest all the ‘jos’ and all the ‘jose’ (along with the ‘joseph’, the ‘josh’, and the ‘aljos’, since they all have ‘jos’ in them).
But the moment you enter the ‘e’, then it would suggest only those that have ‘jose’ in them, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Hi there,

If you don’t want the results to update automatically, you can use the With a Search Button method so that you only see your results when you have finished typing and clicked ‘search’.

2 Likes