[In Progress] Does iOS cache images?

I have an app that displays a “feed” as such, with the latest matches from one of my local sports clubs. You can find the app on iOS and Android’s respective app store. Unfortunately for myself and the many people who use this app, on iOS devices, the images are painfully slow to load, even on a high speed connection. The images pull straight from Amazon’s S3 servers and there are roughly 9 or so images, 6 of which are tiny.

Android on the other hand is like hey! I’ll just save these for later and check for updates, and cache the new updates, thus allowing users to load straight in with the images already there.

Is there any way to replicate this on iOS? Loading the images takes up to 7 seconds which when staring at black text with no images, feels like forever. And even so, why is downloading the actual image so slow? I tested on a 300Mbps connection. I know for sure the images combined don’t surpass a file size to take 7 seconds.

If anyone has any information on this, I’d really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Thanks.

This is a good suggestion @eoinparkinson - do you want to open an issue on Github about it?

1 Like

I can do, I’ll check for one first. I’ll get around to that today.

Not a current issue but I can see this being super useful in the future if I undertake a project like that again. I could have done a lot differently to be fair.

Thanks.

1 Like