IMPORTANT / ACTION MAY BE REQUIRED - Thunkable and Android 8.0

Update (Aug 3rd):

Hey Thunkers,

As of Aug 1, 2018, Google is requiring all new apps published to the Play Store to be compatible with Android 8.0 (aka API 26).

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will likely miss this deadline by up to a few weeks.

If you are planning to publish a new app to the Play Store in the next few weeks, we highly recommend that you publish a version before Aug 1, as existing apps do not need to be compatible with Android 8.0 till Nov 1, 2018.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.

Thunkable Team

FAQs

Will I be able to a new app to the Play Store before Aug 1?
Yes, you should be able to publish a new app before Aug 1.

Will I be able to a new app to the Play Store after Aug 1?
After Aug 1, you will only be able to publish a new app after we have upgraded to Android 8.0. For Thunkable Classic and Cross Platform, this may take up to a few weeks.

If I plan to publish a new app shortly after Aug 1, what should I do?
We recommend publish a version of your app before Aug 1. You can then update your app in the Play Store after Aug 1 since apps already uploaded to the Play Store only need to be compatible with Android 8.0 by Nov 1.

8 Likes

:pensive::pensive::pensive::astonished:

@albert

Good Moornig.
Can we update apps uploaded before to 1st august.?

For example: today upload New App to playstore… And after of 1st August , i can update details, and New funtions of my Apps W/o Api26?

1 Like

@B_Hdez, Yeah, just new apps have to be API 26 before August, it’ll only affect updates in November.

For app.thunkable.com, we are getting very close on a new release and I hope you don’t need to wait too long for it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

If we need to post a new app from today in store, if we decompile the app and manually edit manifest would this work also?

It is possible ?

No.
Just change the number is not enough.

It is possiple that you can install your app.
But it is possiple too that the most components will not work.
Because the target number is not just only a number.

It tells the android system many things.
And these things are in a relation with all components.

2 Likes

can any body tell me the estimated release date of android 8.0 api @domhnallohanlon @Mika

Did you read this? A lot of users are posting questions about the SDK 26 change. They just have to wait. Be patient.

3 Likes

A few weeks is too long to wait for a company like Thunkable. You should have done it before the deadline because this is your core business!

1 Like

We will release a stable version to app.thunkable.com in 24 - 48 hrs. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best,
Wei

14 Likes

Thanks for very important reply

It’s not so easy to make this change, and Google advise later about his new upgrade. I know thunkable community are working hard to give us the best release. Think about thunkable is a power software and all free. I want to thanks all community for their beautiful and great job. Thank you

Thank you you all for the great job. Thanks Thunkable.

No problem at all since all my existing apps from the store are still good to November 1. So i can wait for the new release :slight_smile:

Why will team thunkable reacts after the fact… this is redecilious. Please concentrate on Thunkable classic at least for deadlines by Google.
Thunkx is yours and can work on it later aswell.

Hi Zama,

sounds pretty bad, I hope you do not have too much trouble with your app updates during the last three days.

Your question, “why will team thunkable reacts after the facts”, ist maybe difficult to answer to, because, as albert said seven days ago:

“Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will likely miss this deadline by up to a few weeks.”

These unforeseen circumstances do not sound like facts.

I can understand, that you want the thunkable team to concentrate on thunkable classic. But you might understand, that there are other members in this community who want the opposite, namely to concentrate on thunkable X. I think you should respect their perspective as well as your perspective is respected by members who favorite the thunkable X . :wink:

Your users might wait for important bugfixes or features, that you wanted to bring to them with an update yesterday or today. So I wish you the best and hope together with you, that thunkable team will bring the API level rise.

cheers,
User81

2 Likes

If everybody would follow the forum they would read that 1 day ago wei (in this topic) said that it would take 24-48 hours for a new version to arrive. So instead of complaining users should read and should learn how a clock works.

6 Likes

@User81

Team Thunkable needs to understand difference between Production environment and Non-Production. Google have provided ample amount of time for API upgrades. where is the point of 3 days inconvinence, Production environments are measures in seconds/minutes not days.
I do not think x might be favourite but that is not cooked yet. I am talking about cooked version - classic.
Team Thunkable should start improving their software delivery…

1 Like