Extension and it uses

Hi!
I would love to understand how the extension works, and how to go about it.Thanks!

1 Like

Hello, Well simply put “Extensions” Expand the normal AI2 Builder, Expanding the component range from what you would normally see in the stock builder client, Like Thunkable, AI2, AppyBuilder Etc. They all come with pre built and some custom component sets.

The Idea of the extension component is to add some other function from the regular Android library’s.
Currently only non visible items can be used, So wont appear on the builder screen when using, And have to be programmatically used in blocks.

When an extension is posted up for downloading for users, It usually comes with sample code “AIA” Or images to demonstrate the block functions or how to implement it with current stock components of the builder.

Really it just extends the capability’s of your App that you couldn’t do before Extension functionality was released.

How to use the Extension;
Simply find one you would like to use,
Download the .aix file which is the extension format.

Open your builder you use, “Providing its Extension capable” on the main designer screen,
on the left you see all the stock block items, On the very last item on the list you will see the Extensions tab.
Click this then choose upload Extension.
Browse to where it is on your computer, then select upload.
Shortly after you will see the extension added into the tab. You can now drag this into the designer screen
where you would normally drag any regular component. It will show in the list of items under the preview screen letting you know its now bound to that screen.

Click on blocks tab, you will now see the extension properties by clicking on it giving you additional blocks to use for the function of the extension.

If you are wanting to look into how the extensions are made, there is a tutorial on how to set up your PC To develop extensions. in the tutorial section. :slight_smile:

Hope this information helps.

2 Likes

"currently only non-visible items can be used." How do users fix in components like joy sticks? wont it be visible?

the definition of a non visible component is

Note: One limitation of the current extension component implementation is that it creates non-visible components only (i.e., components that do not show on the designer screen). MIT plans to remove this restriction in future versions of the extension component system.

taken from the extensions document chapter 1

Taifun

Some of them than visually appear on the App wont be visible during development on the builder, Some use the means of attaching to an Arrangement block as kind of placeholder container for the visuals. Other extensions which don’t use visuals, Use regular blocks like Buttons or timers Etc to interact with the App.

Non visual just means it cant be manipulated in the designer screen, But can have property values on the right side of the screen if needed, Like when you click a Clock component it shows some additional settings in the designer screen to the right when selected, Some extensions have this too.

An example would be a menu extension, Would need assigned to an arrangement on the designer,
the rest of the stuff is added in the blocks screen, then build in what you need it to do.

If you have an Extension your interested in And App idea you want, Let me know i can create an Example App to demonstrate the integration process, Would need to be a free extension to publish a test aia. sample though. Unless you have purchased one you want to use?

:slight_smile:

Ok, I was watching a youtube video in which an app was built for an arduino project and what it basically does is that a servo is actually connected to the arduino and on the app a gauge with a pointer was introduced and to any position you place the pointer, the top of the servo also takes that position, so my question is how was that guage gotten to the app? was it drawn? my initial thought was maybe it was an extension.

probably the Gauge Extension by Andres Daniel was used?
for the extensions directory see here https://puravidaapps.com/extensions.php

Taifun

But the gauge is an extension right? and it’s visible.

you might want to read again the definition of “visible”

Taifun

Sorry am new at all of this so am trying to grab what your saying. So are you saying it’s like the notifier component or maybe the file component which is not visible to the designer’s screen?

if this is easier for you to understand, then yes
Taifun

Thanks for your help! But have been clarified by a video, It was actually the canvas component with images of a guage and a pointer, from the example i made reference to.I actually understood what you said perfectly but my issue was not an extension it was actually a canvas component(drawing and animation in general).

Lanre-josh

The Extension its self Hosts All the Graphical code So merely all you have to do is Address the values you want to use in the gauge, These can be connected to various sensors of variables in your App and the Gauge extension will draw them automatically :slight_smile:

I think i have a Gauge test App somewhere where it is connected to the EMF Sensor so it works like a EMF Reader, If you think this would be handy for you to see how the general setup is i can post it here when back at PC. :slight_smile: All you will need to do is set up the gauge properties to match what you need to do then connect the values received from the arduino, Ive not used the Arduino Extension much in AI2, But can assist if you need some pointing in the right directions, I also develop for Arduino too, Mostly robotic stuff, I am sure i could get something working you can use :slight_smile:

But will post the example i have already later to see if its something you want to use for a project…

If i remember correctly the gauge Extension connects to a Web component, I think the code workings uses HTML, Might be wrong here its been ages since i used it, All i had to do was set the web component to the size of the screen or something atleast 70% for a good visual effect. And the rest was pretty easy to set up.

pls would love to see an example,thanks! also how do one go about making an extension?

I does not look like you looked into the extensions document, see again my answer here

Taifun

Sorry i just saw it now. Thank!

EMFVIZ.aia (136.3 KB)

Here is something i was demonstrating to a Class,
Shows EMF Sensor value on the gauge,
Also demonstrates how to configure the gauge to show new Tick values and numbers Etc,

You can just take out the EMF Block and use the block to get the value for the gauge and plug in any sensor or variable, then adjust the Tick points to match your project sensor like degrees pointing for servo or Anything you like really.

AIX Was built on Thunkable, Wont work correctly on regular AI2. !

Thanks!

1 Like