[Solved] ITMS-90809: Deprecated API usage (UIWebVew)

Yesterday night, I got an email from apple (~1.5hrs after I added my v2 to store connect) -

In a post on Sep10, @domhnallohanlon said that

I searched on google, this came -

So, when I submit, will my app get approved? It has 5 webviews, all for completely different purposes.

Thanks! :blush:

Question does the Airtable block is also viewed as web api or not ?

No, the "API" means the normal web-viewer.

I got my answer by a little search, It’s just a warning :smile:

Thanks for your time! :blush:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Did you read this announcement from Apple Store:

Updating Apps that Use Web Views

December 23, 2019

If your app still embeds web content using the deprecated UIWebView API, we strongly encourage you to update to WKWebView as soon as possible for improved security and reliability. WKWebView ensures that compromised web content doesn’t affect the rest of an app by limiting web processing to the app’s web view. And it’s supported in iOS and macOS, and by Mac Catalyst.

The App Store will no longer accept new apps using UIWebView as of April 2020 and app updates using UIWebView as of December 2020.

Is Thunkbale using WKWebView now?

Thanks,
Sam

I just submitted an update for my app to apple app store connect and received the following email message back… will this be fixed soon? …

App Store Connect\ 173x45

Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, “IWS VSA” 1 (16). Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

Best regards,

The App Store Team

1 Like

Hi @IWS,

We’re aware that Thunkers are seeing this message, just to draw your attention to two important things

First and foremost, everyone is still able to publish their apps to the app store.

Secondly, Apple themselves are yet to announce when they will stop accepting apps with this component. So, for the time being this isn’t something to worry about, and when it does become a more pressing matter, we’ll do the worrying for you! :joy:

4 Likes

Hello,
Does anybody know if to publish an updated version of my iOS App I have to complete the “Publish” process all over again at the Thunkable portal ?

Thanks,

Carlos

I went with “Publish” and uploaded all certificates etc created the first time i published and it worked fine. Confirmation reads: “Congrats !! … wait for an email”.

This is what Apple responded:

Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, “SPAmeditations” 1 (6). Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

Best regards,

The App Store Team

You can ignore this message. It is a message reminding developers that a particular API will stop being accepted by Apple some time in the future . We don’t directly use that API but one of the libraries that we depend on do. We fully expect that that dependence will be removed soon, before Apple starts actually rejecting apps that contain it.

-Mark

Hi all. So I am lead to believe that Apple is not going to continue with webview? When I submitted my app, this came up as a soon to be problem for my app.
Is there any knowledge out there as to what we need to do to replace this function? Thanks.

Thanks @steveh,

If you search the community for ITMS-90809 you’ll find a couple of topics about this already.

We originally addressed this back in September, and the status quo remains.

http://community.thunkable.com/t/uiwebview-deprecated/210605/2?u=domhnall

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks @domhnallohanlon
Must have missed that!

1 Like

Hello,

yes i saw other posts like that, but there was no time set by Apple.
But today i received the following message:

> Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs starting from April 2020

I don’t use any WebViewer… i just use “open link” to open a website outside the app…
How can i fix it?

Thank in advance

1 Like

Hey there @L3on! Although I am not sure where to find it currently, in the past, I have read a post from @domhnallohanlon stating that we dont need to worry about this and that #teamthunkable will have this issue solved before the deadline.

I do wonder though:

1. will this update affect previously published apps (i.e. will they be taken down)?

2. as iOS continues to upgrade, will older apps utilizing the deprecated webviewer stop working?

3. can we receive an alert when the admins are able to publish this updated component to the platform so we may update our apps asap

4. what is the purpose of the update. what does the new webviewer do that the old one did not???

3 Likes

Hey @jared and @L3on,

Here’s the post you were looking for:

Following up on your questions:

1. No, it’s only new apps
  2. I mean, eventually, in the future perhaps? But not in the near future
  3. Absolutely, it’ll be in #Announcements
  4. Improved speed, stability, security and functionality
3 Likes

Thank you for a rapid reply!!
:open_hands: :open_hands: :open_hands: :open_hands: :open_hands:

I have 1 last wonder. Will the webviewer handle URI’s or is this just an iOS issue?

on the topic of the functionality imporovements:, I have had issues in the past with things that could display on an android device but not iOS such as charts :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

In just over one week’s time, Apple will begin rejecting new apps using UIWebView.

As far as I know Thunkable uses this - I read that there is an update in the works and just wanted to know if you will be ready when Apple is going to reject all new apps containing UIWebView?

The docs still just say there would be an update out before Apple/Android start rejecting such apps. Apple will start rejecting affected apps starting in April.

Best, Chris

1 Like

uh oh!

1 Like

Hi @Chris

Are you planning on releasing an app in April that uses the WebView component?

Hi @domhnallohanlon,

I got the same messages, that UIWebView has issues. It scares me that I won’t be able to publish an app any more soon.

@Michael_Rogulla are you planning on publishing a new app in April?