Issue with "when Screen Starts" event since Jan 12, 2021

Hi there,
out of nowhere and without me making any changes to the app, I noticed multiple things not working any more when testing in Thunkable Live on Android. Those are just the first three examples I noticed:

1. On multiple screens: “When screen opens, from Label set text to XYZ” doesn’t work.
  2. List viewer literally just disappeared and isn’t showing any more on the screen.
  3. On one screen: “When screen starts, set labels to XYZ and background images to XYZ, then clone and set visibility to true”. --> The entire screen remains white

All those things have worked normally for weeks and I didn’t make any changes that could possibly be the reason.
Is there a known, global issue?
I’m convinced this can’t be something just on my side.

Thanks everyone,
Antje

2 Likes

Hey @antje.smilesyft, sorry to hear about this. We did have a release yesterday, but you’re the first person to report these particular issues.

Let’s run through them though and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

Are you using v253 of Thunkable Live?

Are these the snap to position (legacy) screens, or drag and drop (“new ui”) screens?

Was working with an older project this morning that had the ListViewer and it was fine. Do you have a sample project or screen recording to show this behaviour?

Do you set properties like this on more than one screen?

1 Like

I have a lot of issues to !

The biggest one that appeared is that each time you swipe screen in the top tab navigator the screen loads from 0.
This is very troubling because it means that the user have the wait that everything loads again when he swip screen , in my case loading can take 5-6 sec for each screen , so impossible to make a user wait that long each time he swipe !

Thanks @83c4d26aa4d240 - can you bit a little more specific so I can investigate?

EDIT: Merged your two posts into one.

Thanks! so, is this using v253 of Thunkable Live or is it when downloading and installing an app to your device?

It is when I use Thunable Live test and the companion

I didn’t try to download and install since the bug appeared

But everything was working fine 2day ago !

Thanks.

On the play store it says V253 so yes I have the latest V, and I have a Samsung

This behavior is also in the live test on the computer

Thanks Stan (will create a separate tutorial about finding the version number - thanks!)

In terms of trying to reproduce this I have the following; 4 screens in a Nav Bar, with components on each screen.

The first thing I did was check to see the nav bar was ok - I couldn’t see any visible reloading here:

The I went and added two or 3 components to each screen, and again the scrolling was smooth and there was no noticeable reloading. (I just didn’t make a video because it would show essentially the same thing.)

In my app I use cloning when screen open , and it is all the cloned elements that disappears and reload when I change screen

1 Like

Oh oh… I just noticed I am experiencing the issue with the tab navigator described above by 83c4d26aa4d240 as well across all of my devices but in my case the screens never fully (re)load as only a part of them does:

• Apple iPhone 7 Plus - iOS 14.3 - v253
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 - Android 10 - v253
  • Huawei P Smart Z - Android 10 - v253
  • Honor 9 Lite - Android 9 - v253

There is definitely something wrong with screens which use cloning.

@antje.smilesyft

1. On multiple screens: “When screen opens, from Label set text to XYZ” doesn’t work.
  2. List viewer literally just disappeared and isn’t showing any more on the screen.
  3. On one screen: “When screen starts, set labels to XYZ and background images to XYZ, then clone and set visibility to true”. --> The entire screen remains white

Do these screens have a loading icon? Is this on an android device? If so, a bug appeared a few weeks ago that the open event does not occur on android devices if there is a loading icon List Viewer not set on Screen Open

@domhnallohanlon, here is a link to a demonstration project. Thunkable

I tried with out the loading icon , it dosent change nothing

Yes.

I can drag and drop my screens, so assuming it’s the new ui. Haven’t seen anything else since using Thunkable (starting around April).

@83c4d26aa4d240,

I have an app that has mulitple large screens using a top navigator as well. I have found that for navigators, all of the screens start and load simultaneously, create a LOT of concurrent processing. Although thunkable generally runs in these situations, it can be brittle.

One debugging strategy to consider is to temporarily add a speech to text block as the first and last block in both the start and open events of all screens in the tab navigator. Something like this.

Then open the app but DO NOT interact. Just watch and listen to see which event occur. After all of the screens have finished the start and open events. try swiping to the other screen as wait to see if any events occur. Then swipe back to the opening screen.

Are the events you are expecting to occur actually occuring as they should? If not, which are occuring that shouldn’t and which are not occuring that should?

Maybe this helps already. I can share my project if it doesn’t.

when screens opens also not working in live and downloaded versions

Yes, I do that on multiple screens, which is what gives me headaches. I haven’t worked on the screen in over a week where I just found the issue because it was done and didn’t need any more work. I checked 2 other screens where I am doing the same and there aren’t any issues at all.

No, not using the loading icon anywhere.

grumble…

I would then suggest you try adding speech blocks to the start and open events as I described above and see if the events are beginning and finishing.

1 Like